This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book discussion

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"....Arinna...honey pouring....*** "CUT?? - damn it, that ain't fair! Just when they are about to get it on! I knew, I should've bought the DC!! ---Colourful descriptions, diversified usage of language, fighting scene that seems to get messy ... Nice trailer, Iguana!

Comment

i like boooks by Paolo Coelho..

Also, i have complete series of harry portter huh... been crazy of this bcoz of my nieces. haha

Comment

Just wanted to say that every book has its own time in the life of the reader, for ex. imo 'Crime and Punishment' would seem boring and not fun to read for under 20 y. o.
        I read almost all Agatha Kristi's staff and enjoyed it,
        Would recommend Conte de Monte Cristo(book is much more fun than the movie, as it gives so many details),
        O'Henry short funny stories,
        Haggard's 'Montezuma's daughter'(A trip to the Aztec society), '
        Capitain Blood' and others from Sabatini(Sea Adventures/Pirates),
        Harry Harrison 'Stainless steel Rat'! (SF)

Can anybody recommend any books about wars of Roman Empire, Troy, Alexander, ancient battles kinda staff?

I hope people out there still read books(and not being educated by American stupid comedies and popcorn) and I am glad there is a thread about books on BA. Please try H.Harrison trilogy - you'll love it from the first page.

Comment

Originally posted by nevsky1
          Just wanted to say that every book has its own time in the life of the reader, for ex. imo 'Crime and Punishment' would seem boring and not fun to read for under 20 y. o.
          I read almost all Agatha Kristi's staff and enjoyed it,
          Would recommend Conte de Monte Cristo(book is much more fun than the movie, as it gives so many details),
          O'Henry short funny stories,
          Haggard's 'Montezuma's daughter'(A trip to the Aztec society), '
          Capitain Blood' and others from Sabatini(Sea Adventures/Pirates),
          Harry Harrison 'Stainless steel Rat'! (SF)

Can anybody recommend any books about wars of Roman Empire, Troy, Alexander, ancient battles kinda staff?

I hope people out there still read books(and not being educated by American stupid comedies and popcorn) and I am glad there is a thread about books on BA. Please try H.Harrison trilogy - you'll love it from the first page.
          Hi, nevsky1!
          Personally I've read "A Struggle for Rome" aka "A Fight for Rome" (Felix Dahn) and got good memories of it. - "Pride of Carthage" (David Anthony Durham) is said to be a great book to read about Hannibal and the punic war. - If you got interest in the battle in the Teutoburg Forest, you may want to check these two: "Rome's greatest defeat: massacre in the Teutoburg Forest" (Adrian Murdoch) and "The battle that stopped Rome: Emperor Augustus, Arminius and the slaughter of the legions in the Teutoburg Forest" (Peter S.Wells). Not sure, but I think that both wrote more of that stuff. - German author Gisbert Haefs wrote several good historical novels about Rome/Greece, but seems that his work is not translated in english so far...

http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/main.htm
          http://home.comcast.net/~dwtaylor1/b...alfiction.html
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_novels
          ...and maybe Arbiter Elegantiarum wants to drop some words about "Quo Vadis"

ps: I read Harrison's "To the Stars"-Trilogy long time ago, but have to admit that it didn't leave a big impression - at least as far as I remember...

Comment

GOMORA BY ROBERTO SAVIANO,is a great book about the mafia in Naples,it reveals all the secrets from mafia in italy,how they trade illegaly,how they transfer drugs,he gives the names of the bosses,and the people that died from the war of the italian mafia.
            I was scocked when i read it.These people dont have any respect for human life,they are killers and not bussinesman,unfortunately this guy is now wanted by the maf,and because of the book he is hiding from the camora.Everyone who is interested on how these totally stupid guys
            works should read this book as it is a masterpiece for the 21 century.
            The incidents that he writes about is from his real life in the streets of naples.FREEDOM TO ROBERTO.

Comment

According to the situation at the opposite side of the window..

l must recommend you 'Lód'(The Ice) by Jacek Dukaj.
              l'm very sorry but it may concern only Polish BA users nowadays as l doubt if it has already been translated.

Anyway, whatever you expect from this book, you'll find it there.

Comment

Just finished reading Declan Hills' - The Fix (Soccer & Organized Crime)

Nice read on how the matches in Europe and Asia were fixed and mostly controlled by the Asian people. And how players are scared shitless when the triads approach them to throw a game sometimes with just verbal threats to kill their family and stuff. International bestseller ! ! !

Preview of - The Fix (Soccer & Organized Crime)

Hill came face-to-face with the multi-billion dollar illegal Asian gambling industry. Over four years, he interviewed more than two hundred people, including professional gamblers, Mafia hitmen, undercover cops, top-level international soccer players, referees, and officials. He met men who claim they have bribed their way into fixing the results of some of the biggest matches in the sport. Initially very sceptical, Hill travelled across four continents to corroborate their stories. He found soccer leagues where mobsters have fixed more than eighty per cent of the games. But most chilling, he met and then was adopted by a small group of match-fixers.
                In The Fix, Hill explains the structure and mechanics of illegal gambling syndicates, what soccer players and referees do (or not do) to affect the outcome of their games, why relatively rich and high-status athletes would fix games, how and why club officials would bribe the opposition and how they get referees **8220;on their side.**8221; Perhaps most shocking is Hill**8217;s discovery that gambling fixers have successfully infiltrated the game, all the way to the top international matches.

The book, however, is not just about match fixing in soccer, the world**8217;s most popular sport. Throughout the text, Hill uses examples from other sports **8211; tennis, hockey, even rowing **8211; to show that the credibility of professional sport now lies on a fragile foundation, and it provides enough hints to suspect that all sports above amateur level should look nervously over their shoulder.

Comments:
                This book will forever
                change the way you
                think and feel about
                professional sport.
                The Fix is the most explosive story of sports corruption in a generation. It presents compelling evidence that some of the highest soccer matches in the world may have been fixed: European Champions League, Olympic and World Cup tournaments.

Intriguing, riveting, and compelling, it tells the story of an investigative journalist, Declan Hill, who set out to examine the world of match-fixing in professional soccer.

"Declan Hill writes a well-researched book, of investigative journalistic brilliance."
                --Shaka Hislop, ESPN soccer commentator and former English Premier League and World Cup goalkeeper.

Comment

Highly recommended for every serious punter.

The Smart Money: How the World's Best Sports Bettors Beat the Bookies Out of Millions

In 1997, gaming journalist Konik joined the Brain Trust, a sports-gambling operation that took in millions by beating the Vegas bookies at their own game. This fascinating inside look at the gambling biz (perfectly suited, incidentally, to fans of the recent movie Two for the Money) reveals so much information that you would swear the author was breaking some sort of Omerta-like code of silence; in fact, the parallels between organized gambling and organized crime are numerous. The book created plenty of buzz in the publishing community well before its release, so expect a great deal of publicity and high reader interest. The author conceals the identities of the principal players behind fake names, but his fictionalized stand-ins are so compelling (especially the Brain Trust chieftain, Rick "Big Daddy" Matthews) that the book feels like a mixture of true-life expose and high-stakes fiction (fans of Puzo's Fools Die may see some similarities but only in a good way). A definite must-read for the gambling crowd.
                  Last edited by stefan2008; 26-07-10, 01:08.

Comment

Originally posted by jif View Post
                    Just finished reading Declan Hills' - The Fix (Soccer & Organized Crime)

Nice read on how the matches in Europe and Asia were fixed and mostly controlled by the Asian people. And how players are scared shitless when the triads approach them to throw a game sometimes with just verbal threats to kill their family and stuff. International bestseller ! ! !

Preview of - The Fix (Soccer & Organized Crime)

Hill came face-to-face with the multi-billion dollar illegal Asian gambling industry. Over four years, he interviewed more than two hundred people, including professional gamblers, Mafia hitmen, undercover cops, top-level international soccer players, referees, and officials. He met men who claim they have bribed their way into fixing the results of some of the biggest matches in the sport. Initially very sceptical, Hill travelled across four continents to corroborate their stories. He found soccer leagues where mobsters have fixed more than eighty per cent of the games. But most chilling, he met and then was adopted by a small group of match-fixers.
                    In The Fix, Hill explains the structure and mechanics of illegal gambling syndicates, what soccer players and referees do (or not do) to affect the outcome of their games, why relatively rich and high-status athletes would fix games, how and why club officials would bribe the opposition and how they get referees “on their side.” Perhaps most shocking is Hill’s discovery that gambling fixers have successfully infiltrated the game, all the way to the top international matches.

The book, however, is not just about match fixing in soccer, the world’s most popular sport. Throughout the text, Hill uses examples from other sports – tennis, hockey, even rowing – to show that the credibility of professional sport now lies on a fragile foundation, and it provides enough hints to suspect that all sports above amateur level should look nervously over their shoulder.

Comments:
                    This book will forever
                    change the way you
                    think and feel about
                    professional sport.
                    The Fix is the most explosive story of sports corruption in a generation. It presents compelling evidence that some of the highest soccer matches in the world may have been fixed: European Champions League, Olympic and World Cup tournaments.

Intriguing, riveting, and compelling, it tells the story of an investigative journalist, Declan Hill, who set out to examine the world of match-fixing in professional soccer.

"Declan Hill writes a well-researched book, of investigative journalistic brilliance."
                    --Shaka Hislop, ESPN soccer commentator and former English Premier League and World Cup goalkeeper.

I am very interested in this book, is there any ebook on the web where can i download it because I didnt find it in the public library or on the web.. Tnx for the help!

Comment

do a google search for "The fix (soccer and organised crime) pdf" plenty of downloads for it but you know how trustworthy some of those d/l sites are.

Comment

Originally posted by CG View Post
                        do a google search for "The fix (soccer and organised crime) pdf" plenty of downloads for it but you know how trustworthy some of those d/l sites are.
                        hehe, tnx for the help, i did it already that's precisely the reason why i'm asking here, i dodnt find anything useful..

All in all:if someone finds it i would be really thankfull for the link or something simelar to be posted in my PM. thanks

Comment

So, 2 and a half years later, I'm going to post a few more passages from the more recent writings on my novel (which is near to being completed). I hope that those who enjoyed the first few paragraphs will also enjoy this ones, especially arsenalno1.

************************************************** *******
                          "You want your reward" asked Arild smiling?
                          "Don't try to trick me" growled Sarond! "Don't even try it, or you will regret it".
                          Arild looked at him with contemn and made a sign to Merinox.
                          "Give him his earned reward".
                          Merinox took out his sword, ready to strike, when he felt a burning in his throat. He couldn't breathe, and was feeling a stinging pain all over his body. Trying to protect his throat, he dropped the sword and fell to the ground. He saw one of Sarond's hands directed towards him, and when he tried to speak, the only thing that came out of his mouth was a rattle.
                          Atiron tried to help him, but Sarond stretched his other hand towards the sorcerer, torturing in the same way. The sorcerer also fell on the ground, wriggling with pain. Arild was looking scared at the necromancer. His face no longer kept it's human form. Instead, a hideous skull was starring at Arild.
                          His vision became blurry, but this time, he wasn't feeling any stings, not inside his nose, neither in the back of his head. Several heat waves started hitting him, continuously. Sweat was pouring down on his face when, suddenly, he felt a slight breeze; but only for a moment, as the breeze turned into a powerful storm, as if the entire rage of nature was upon him. Vertax fell to the ground, tormented by the wind blasts that were searching and passing through him. The heat waves were long gone, and now the sweat pouring on his face and back turned into chills. He lay down on the cool floor... waiting... shaking. Visions were coming to his mind, visions or memories... he couldn't tell. He was seeing smiling, familiar faces, images that were setting him at rest, but they were all moving fast, threading with war scenes, blood and death.
                          The kingdom of Skyrim was situated north-east of Torag; populated by the Rantahians, Skyrim was a small region, at the bottom of the mountains, but the standard of living was very high in this area. The Rantahian houses might have appeared as simple, when looked upon from the outside, but the interior was very luxurious, each home having several expensive decorations. Their economy was based on the extraction and commerce of the 'dabis', the precious metal that was changing it's color depending on the surrounding light and the angle from which it is watched, a metal highly appreciated in the entire world, and highly expensive.
                          http://forum.bettingadvice.com/showp...90&postcount=1

Comment

"the fix" is a incredible book..
                            his stories about the malaysia and singapore soccer with 2 games with more then 26 goals in one halftime.. and the oddfall from 30 to 1,5.. just to crazy..

Comment

It is very nice to see that you have kept writing, Iggy, and I promise you I'll read your book as soon as it is out, and I have learned Romanian, or can find a translated edition

As for a critique, I'd love to give you some constructive critiscism but I'm a simple person and not really sure what to point out... Please keep writing, though, is all I can say, and don't be discouraged by the lack of replies here - sadly, this thread only averages one or two replies every three months.. You are probably better off posting these passages in more dedicated forums

I recognize Skyrim - that's a land in the Elder Scrolls universe. Is your book related to that somehow, like a spin-off/fan fiction, or is it just a coincidence?

As for my own recent reading, it didn't go so well for a while now, as I have some troubles concentrating, so I picked up an easy one to get me started again; the book which the legendary movie Goodfellas is based on. It's not very different, but still interesting to read the story too. Could be worth a quick read for most on here. Got a couple of classics like Of mice and men and Catcher in the rye lined up, and hopefully I'll get into a good reading habit as the winter keeps me inside the house Getting through Homer will be my goal for the next months.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenalno1 View Post
                                I recognize Skyrim - that's a land in the Elder Scrolls universe. Is your book related to that somehow, like a spin-off/fan fiction, or is it just a coincidence?
                                Not spin-off, neither a coincidence...

It's more like an easter-egg, as I use some character names, or names of places that are from other works to which I try to pay some sort of a tribute, and Skyrim is indeed taken from the Elder Scrolls.

Thnx a lot for your reply, and be sure you'll be the first to get a copy when (and if) it's going to be published (with an English translation, of course). Thnx and regards!
                                http://forum.bettingadvice.com/showp...90&postcount=1

Comment

Latest predictions

Collapse

Last posts

Collapse

Top Tipster Month

Collapse

Top Tipster Overall

Collapse

Favourite bookmakers

Collapse

BET365
                                All-time favourite bookie of Bettingadvice.com due to their great betting offers in many sports, very good live betting and in-game cashouts, and general ease-of-use. Take me to Bet365!

PINNACLE SPORTS
                                Great bookie, offer superb odds (low margins), very high limits, does not slash winning customers. Probably the most reliable sportsbook on the net. Well known among sports punters for their ability and will to offer a fair product. Pinnacle will not hide. If you are good, you win. OK,  I'll give Pinnacle Sports a try!

Working...
                                X