This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > ChitChat and Competitions > Chit-Chat

Chit-Chat Discuss injuries, offside rules, Beckhams new hairdo, etc.

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 19-10-10, 21:38   #61
meser

meser is an unknown quantity at this point

Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

and sequels ... "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe", "Life, the Universe and Everything"

I have never laughed so hard while reading

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 27-10-10, 16:20   #62
Sanchez
Freshman

Sanchez is an unknown quantity at this point

wondering to know if anyone of you guys can recommend some website with ebooks to read.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 14:59   #63
Arbiter Elegantiarum
Administrator
Site admin

Arbiter Elegantiarum is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading some Byron's works and came across "The Prisoner of Chillon"(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisoner_of_Chillon http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Prisoner_of_Chillon).

Think about it, how a place of such intense beauty could inside be a dark dungeon prison where people suffered without freedom.
Arbiter Elegantiarum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-10, 20:25   #64
peret600

peret600 is on a distinguished road

Influence. Science and Practice , by Robert Cialdini

I read it twice, and going to read it 3rd time, if find time.
Very good book for .... everybody.

Few words about it here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influen...e_and_Practice
peret600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 04:36   #65
kfcpro
Super Moderator

kfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexy

I wanted to recommend A book written by Baltasar Gracian

The Art of Worldly Wisdom

well,thats a totally interesting book , which consists exactly 300 anegdotes/life examples/wisdom with commentary . Book was recommended by Nietzsche and Schopenhauer so it speaks for itselfs. and it was written almost 400 years ago...you will be amazed how actual it is...i dont know to what it compare,but for me it is a perfect "life user manual" and momentally reminds me of books by Guy Kawasaki (lol yeah...tahts true)

Great read,amazing analyse of human nature,and all of it in really short 300 articles (usually few lines)

Last edited by kfcpro; 07-01-11 at 04:41.
kfcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 19:39   #66
MilosS
banned

MilosS is an unknown quantity at this point

Charles Bukowski - "Post office"

amazing book, I love his type of storytelling... keeps you on most of time, not like 90% of boring books I came across...

I warmly recommend "Post office"...
MilosS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-11, 16:12   #67
Arbiter Elegantiarum
Administrator
Site admin

Anyone read Bernard Cornwell? It's an English author of historical novels. I bought "The Last Kingdom", book one of "The Saxon Stories" about 9th century Viking invasion into Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. After reading it I bought the next book of the series(only first two books of it released so far in my country) and also "The Warlord Chronicles" series which are Cornwell's interpretation of Arthurian legends. Also planning to get some of his other works.
The book I read, "The Last Kingdom" I can surely recommend. Author writes a gritty and violent tale of war and conquest with graphic battle descriptions. He embrace the pagan spirit and ideals as he puts courage, strength, pride and egoism over weakness, cowardice and humility while taking a strong anti-Christian and anti-clerical stance.
I wonder if all of his work is written in same spirit or he takes different moral stances in other books? For sure he writes in a way more then good enough for me to pay in order to find out the answer to that question.
Old 21-06-11, 01:20   #68
gambler87

gambler87 is on a distinguished road

Generally, I like to read, especially in the beach. Generally, I like to read a lot about betting, especially pseudo-biographies from bettors living in Las Vegas and this kind of thing. I have also read all Jose Mourinho books and a lot of sports biographies.

When I don't read about betting or sports, I like to read some philosophy books, especially from a Spanish author called Fernando Savater. It makes you think about the meaning of life and other important questions.
gambler87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-11, 20:41   #69
Arbiter Elegantiarum
Administrator
Site admin

I've read Bernard Cornwell's "The Warlord Chronicles", an interesting interpretation of Arthurian legends. Three fantastic books, great take on Arthurian myth, full of brutal, gritty, gore battles in shield walls. Courage, honour and power of the sword. Pagan, druidic magic, fantastic places and well known characters tweaked by Cornwell in many suprising ways. Highly recommened for all fans of warrior stories.
Old 15-03-12, 16:46   #70
hayripirgon
Bettingadvice Tipster

hayripirgon is an unknown quantity at this point

The Hunger Games from Suzanne Collins.

The Hunger Games trilogy

The Hunger Games (2008)
Catching Fire (2009)
Mockingjay (2010)

i read all at Military Service. When you start to read it, you can not stop..
The movie is also coming soon.
hayripirgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-12, 10:04   #71
Arbiter Elegantiarum
Administrator
Site admin

Jack Ketchum's "The Girl Next Door", horror based on real-life story about a young innocent girl tortured by her step family. Very depressing book that can make you a misanthrope.

David Finkel's "The Good Soldiers" about Ranger battalion in Iraq. Again very depressing but brilliant book about war and it's consequences, that is death, mutilation, depression, loss, ruin.
Old 25-11-12, 17:27   #72
hayripirgon
Bettingadvice Tipster

hayripirgon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbiter Elegantiarum View Post
Jack Ketchum's "The Girl Next Door", horror based on real-life story about a young innocent girl tortured by her step family. Very depressing book that can make you a misanthrope.

David Finkel's "The Good Soldiers" about Ranger battalion in Iraq. Again very depressing but brilliant book about war and it's consequences, that is death, mutilation, depression, loss, ruin.

i watched this book' film, and like it
hayripirgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-12, 21:02   #73
Arbiter Elegantiarum
Administrator
Site admin

Yeah, there is also a movie, but the book pissed me off so much that I didn't even want to watch it.
Old 25-11-12, 21:23   #74
kfcpro
Super Moderator

kfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexy

God Delusion by Richard Dawkins is probably best book i have read in long time . Both for already an atheist and for those that believe in anything
Old 13-12-12, 18:38   #75
ABB

ABB is on a distinguished road

a srpski book is nice
ABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-12, 13:58   #76
danieljackson

danieljackson is on a distinguished road

as usual my personal library expands quite a bit at this time of the year, the recent additions are:

Well, title and the cover should be enough to make you buy it
Merson retired some years ago so he could tell many interesting stories about his teammates, coaches etc. in his book (Paul Gascoigne, Tony Adams, Harry Redknapp, Glenn Hoddle to name few) without keeping any details to himself.
the book itself was written in 2011 I think, but I hadn't heard about it at that time. It got translated to polish few months ago, so you can get it easily in Poland now as well.

Of course the book includes his gambling problems:

Quote:
At my lowest point as a gambler, the night before an away game for Aston Villa, I sat on the edge of my bed in a Bolton hotel room and thought about breaking my own fingers.
I was that desperate not to pick up the phone and dial in another bet. At that time in my life I'd blown around seven million quid with the bookies and I wanted so badly to stop, but I just couldn't the next punt was always too tempting.

I was chucking all my money away in bets: 3,000 here, 5,000 there; seven or eight grand on the horses. I wouldn't think twice about punting 10,000 on an NFL game in those days.
The more money I earned, the more I gambled away, but I was such an addict I even felt low when I won. One time when I was round my parents house, I scored 20,000, I'm not sure what on, probably the curling in the Winter Olympics or something silly.
and he describes how he went to the US to fight with that addiction:

Quote:
To be honest, I thought I was staring at the pages of a celebrity magazine. I recognised pretty much everyone in the group, because they were all double famous. I'm not going to name names, but I was sitting with actresses, Oscar winners, NFL stars, basketball players and singers. It blew my mind. I worked there for a month, talking through my problems, trying to discover the root of my gambling issues.
I thought we had done pretty well by the time my four weeks were up. I was ready to go home; I thought I could get my life back on track at Walsall, no problems. My therapist had other ideas. The day before I was due to fly back, I was called into her office.
"Paul, you're due to go home tomorrow" she said. "But I think you should stay here for another nine months. You are without doubt the worst pathological gambler we've ever had come through here." I didn't have a clue what that meant.

other book I got is

It's only available in polish as far as I know. it's pretty similar to Merson's biography. Well, similar that it tells about Iwan's gambling and alcohol problems and his relations with other players and coaches, although it's written in much more serious way than Merson's biography. he reveals some interesting (some say shocking) stories about well-known polish coaches like Piechniczek or Lenczyk. Really worth reading for all football fans in Poland.
danieljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 14:29   #77
Winston McNasara

Winston McNasara is on a distinguished road

My favorite authors are Alexandre Dumas, Charles Bukowski, Ephraim Kishon, but the best books I've read lately is "The Master and Margarita" by M. Bulgakov and "1984" by G. Orwell.
Winston McNasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 22:31   #78
Winston McNasara

Winston McNasara is on a distinguished road

By the way, I was going to ask if you have a site that deals with a rating and a review of the books? Something like "imdb" for movies, is there something besides "goodreads" for books?
Winston McNasara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 19:01   #79
kfcpro
Super Moderator

As some of you know thus far, i am a real history freak and love those detailed biographies...

Simon Sebag Montefiore wrote here a monumental thing...really i never seen something so complex and detailed. You wont find things yyou can find here in any tv docu etc etc...simply this guy must have dug all archives, memories etc...

from what i noticed raeding this book he also interviewed those that were alive by the time he wrote it and knew Stalin personally...tremendous and hard work of author...
Book for history freaks..but once you start to read it you feel like you can raed it in a day or two...because it is written perfectly. But book itself is huge and provides days of reading.

Till now best book of this kind i have read ever.

And from what i see it is also one of favourite books of Alex Ferguson just checked reviews when i was writing this post for you lads.

Quote:
I loved the totalitarian high baroque sleaze of Montefiore's Stalin.' SIMON SCHAMA, Book of the Year, Guardian

'One of the two outstanding books of the year, Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore... was the most civilised and elegant chronicle of brutality and ruthlessness I have ever read, its prose cool and clear but never indifferent' Ruth Rendell, Daily Telegraph

'Montefiore's Stalin... horrific, revelatory and sobering... triumph of research and should be required reading in Russia. Book of the Year' John Le Carr, Observer

'I did not think I could learn anything new about Stalin but I was wrong. A stunning performance' Dr Henry Kissinger

'Stalin: the Court of the Red Tsar is one of the best biographies I have ever read in my life' Shimon Peres

'The book I have enjoyed most over the past year was Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar. It was eye-opening. How he managed to kill probably 30 or 40 million people and conceal it is unbelievable' Alex Ferguson
http://www.simonsebagmontefiore.com/stalin_acclaim.aspx
Old 05-04-16, 09:43   #80
matura
Freshman

matura is on a distinguished road

Thank you for sharing your experience while reading guys! Good books indeed, I believe we need to live at least twice in order to have time to read more!!!!!!!!!! God give us one more life!
matura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-16, 09:20   #81
Radler
Freshman

Radler is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky you, that u have time for reading, what is this life with full of care, you have no time to stand and stare.
Radler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-17, 13:38   #82
Cari_R21
Freshman

Cari_R21 is on a distinguished road

Top 3 betting books:
- Thinking, Fast, and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- The Signal and The Noise by Nate Silver
- Fooled by Randomness by Nassem Nicholas Taleb
Cari_R21 is offline   Reply With Quote