This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > ChitChat and Competitions > Chit-Chat

Chit-Chat Discuss injuries, offside rules, Beckhams new hairdo, etc.

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 15-08-07, 17:41   #1
arsenalno1
Super Moderator

arsenalno1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Book discussion

We have a thread for what music we listen to and one for the movies we watch, but none for books. Does that mean BA members don't read anything else than teamnews and statistics? I sure hope not, and will open this thread where we can share our reading experiences.

I've just about finished Veronika Decides To Die by Paolo Coelho
It's about a young and unhappy Slovenian woman who feels life doesn't have anything more to give her, or she doesn't have anything to give to life, and attempts suicide. She fails, and wakes up in Villete - a mental institution somewhere in Slovenia.

It seems to be a, more or less, true story and it is about sanity vs insanity. Illnesses such as depression and schizophrenia is adressed in a very interesting way. And it is about finding reasons to keep living in this too often cruel world.

I strongly recommend reading this.
arsenalno1 is offline   Reply With Quote

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 17-08-07, 13:51   #2
darebt

darebt is an unknown quantity at this point

My personal favorites are Agatha Cristie's books, but I am sure many might disagree with that, but that's it. I just love those and I am only reading one per month, because sadly, they are not unlimited. Other book that I recall as good recently is Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons' Though a bit, commercialized nice thing in my opinion.
darebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-07, 14:02   #3
kfcpro
Super Moderator

kfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexy

I like :
- historical books of Woloszanski,our polish reporter .Abot 2n world war mainly.
-David Morrel's books
-Frederick Forsyth's books
-And books about biology,anathomy ,chemistry etc reffered to human body
-I can also add that i like autobiographies

i decided to add one more category here,of books that i love to read, it might be controversial.but maybe someone also likes such books,just because of historical,not idelogical point of view,like me. Memories of Walter Schellenberg and Mein Kampf are examples of such books.I believe that everyone interested in history should know such books
kfcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-07, 14:34   #4
arsenalno1
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darebt
Other book that I recall as good recently is Dan Brown's 'Angels and Demons' Though a bit, commercialized nice thing in my opinion.
I agree. That one is a good and interesting book one can learn a lot from (not saying everything he claims is true) and the "action-factor" makes it hard to stop reading. I also felt I got to know my way around Rome reading it.
Old 17-08-07, 14:35   #5
George_Hanson
Super Moderator

George_Hanson is an unknown quantity at this point

My fav books:

James Clavell's "King Rat"
JD Sallinger's "Catcher in the Rhy"
George Orwell's "Year 1984"
Goscinny and Sempe's "Le Petite Nicolas"

I could read them all the time, I could finish the first from the list and then make the full circle to start again and I could do it till the end of my life. THere are probably some more, but right now I cannot remember.
George_Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-07, 15:59   #6
SenD

SenD is an unknown quantity at this point

Nikos Kanantzakis - Zorba The Greek
Old 17-08-07, 16:15   #7
Belfour
Freshman

Belfour is an unknown quantity at this point

J. M. Coetzee - "Disgrace"

Best book i've read in years. Here's some info about it:

"Set in post-apartheid South Africa, J. M. Coetzee's searing novel tells the story of David Lurie, a twice divorced, 52-year-old professor of communications and Romantic Poetry at Cape Technical University. Lurie believes he has created a comfortable, if somewhat passionless, life for himself. He lives within his financial and emotional means. Though his position at the university has been reduced, he teaches his classes dutifully; and while age has diminished his attractiveness, weekly visits to a prostitute satisfy his sexual needs. He considers himself happy. But when Lurie seduces one of his students, he sets in motion a chain of events that will shatter his complacency and leave him utterly disgraced."
Belfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-07, 12:41   #8
gold7352
Freshman

gold7352 is an unknown quantity at this point

almost every book from irving welsh.
gold7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-07, 11:46   #9
Jawor

Jawor is an unknown quantity at this point

Betting to win by Prof. Leighton Vaughan-Williams
Jawor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-07, 12:52   #10
arsenalno1
Super Moderator

If any of you are in to fantasy, I must recommend R.A. Salvatore's masterpiece: The Dark Elf Trilogy

It is a very moving story about a young dark elf (drow) - the legendary Drizzt Do'Urden - whose concience makes him forsake his own people and their, by any standards, evil ways and leaves the underground city of Menzoberranzan in search for the love, compassion, tolerance and understanding he is sure exists on the surface. Or a meaning to his existance. He gets very lonely and the colour of his skin is associated with evil so finding what he is looking for becomes a real challenge and he is constantly on the verge of giving up. He is fortunate to have an astral ally, the panther Guenhwyvar, he can turn to when times get tough.

I think it has some deep, existencial meanings and philosophy in it and I feel I have grown as a person by reading it.
Old 31-10-07, 16:53   #11
Arbiter Elegantiarum
Administrator
Site admin

Arbiter Elegantiarum is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalno1
If any of you are in to fantasy, I must recommend R.A. Salvatore's masterpiece: The Dark Elf Trilogy

It is a very moving story about a young dark elf (drow) - the legendary Drizzt Do'Urden - whose concience makes him forsake his own people and their, by any standards, evil ways and leaves the underground city of Menzoberranzan in search for the love, compassion, tolerance and understanding he is sure exists on the surface. Or a meaning to his existance. He gets very lonely and the colour of his skin is associated with evil so finding what he is looking for becomes a real challenge and he is constantly on the verge of giving up. He is fortunate to have an astral ally, the panther Guenhwyvar, he can turn to when times get tough.

I think it has some deep, existencial meanings and philosophy in it and I feel I have grown as a person by reading it.
I've read it few year's ago and really enjoyed it. Descriptions of subterranean world were great and drow society and it's customs was very interesting. Drizzt's search enjoyable to follow. I can reccommend it too.

Talking about fantasy, recently I'm absolutly in love with George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". A large series, 4 heavy books so far, while 3 other are to follow. Series started in 1996, it takes long for Martin to write, but the results of his work are phenomenal. He created a big world, with it's own history, legends, tons of interesting characters. It only lacks it own language(Martin admits he's not a Tolkien ) It's very interesting mainly because he created world where not many things are simpy black or white, there are many sides and many points of view on same matters. Each chapter is told from one of main characters POV. By that we get to know their thoughts, emotions and reasons of their actions but then we see those persons from others POV. It makes it really enjoyable to read aswith passing time we get new POV and can see some facts in completly new light, get to know other sides motivations, and even completly change our opinion of previously loved/hated character.

Martin writes in easy to read style, with lot of great humour but also can create VERY touching scenes. In his world, like in real one, there is a LOT of violence, evil, betrayal etc. and he doesn't neglect it, his world is a dark one, he also knows that sex plays a big role in life and influences people's deeds.

Also, what's rarely is seen in fantasy, in his books no one is safe, and everyone can die, either he is good guy or bad guy. It really makes you cheer and fear for your favourite characters.

His creation of characters is awesome, some of best characters I've read are in his books.

I know that even people who are not into fantasy likes his books. It's not a fantasy about elfs and dwarfs but mainly concentrated on real, flesh and bones people, court intrigues, love/hate etc.

I highly reccommend this bookes, if you can cope with it's size and have patience to wait for series to finish(which could be achieved like in 5-6 years from now on probably).

Jaime Lannister rocks!
Arbiter Elegantiarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 15:27   #12
Satyr

Satyr is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently reading a book from Frederic Beigbeder.

Its title is a bit hard to explain.

Originally it was named "99 francs" but as it is being translated to other languages, it has the name of the translated value in currency of that particular country.
(Retitled 14,99 euro after the introduction of the euro), Grasset (translated into English as £9.99 by Adriana Hunter)

Read more about it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A...9ric_Beigbeder

Solid book, before that I read a book on Berlusconism. Not by Berlusconi of course, but an independent analysis of his way of conducting things and how it affected Italy and how it affects other countries, not necessarily Berlusconi himself but similar mindsets.
Satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-07, 22:40   #13
IGUANA

IGUANA is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't read the fantasy novels suggested in here by arsenalno1 or Arbiter Elegantiarum, but I don't think they are better than The Lord of the Rings. This book is the best fantasy novel that I've read... the images that it sends too you, the complete universe created, the depth of the story.... (I'll also try the novels you recommended as soon as I get the chance)

Would also like to add the Dune saga, again, one of the best SF novels (actually, it's the best in my acceptance, but that's just me). Frank Herbert created an entire universe, the 'plot within plot' idea... and in this books, little is what it seems. Great evolution of the plot-line and the characters... just brilliant.

Also, I'd like to add one of my favorite books from when I was a child: The Wonderful Adventures of Nils Holgersson, written by Selma Lagerlof. Took me a while to finish reading it, but it was worth it. I was amazed by that story that made me dream of visiting Sweden...
IGUANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-07, 22:51   #14
CG

CG is on a distinguished road

I read loads and i mean loads of books. Ian Rankin, Bernard Cornwell, Stephen King, Shaun Hutson, John Connolly, Clive Barker et. etc. and also autobiographies.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-07, 23:12   #15
arsenalno1
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGUANA
Also, I'd like to add one of my favorite books from when I was a child: The Wonderful Adventures of Nils Holgersson, written by Selma Lagerlof. Took me a while to finish reading it, but it was worth it. I was amazed by that story that made me dream of visiting Sweden...
You'd probably like Gösta Berlings Saga then, also by her. Or did you perhaps read it?
Old 14-12-07, 23:18   #16
IGUANA

Quote:
You'd probably like Gösta Berlings Saga then, also by her. Or did you perhaps read it?
Nope, only got one of Selma's books, and unfortunatley it's in bad condition... kind of old, barely holding itself together... it's a 1957 edition, translated in romanian...

as for your suggestion... can you also post a more... understandable title (the one in english, or smth), because I'd really like to read it... will prob remind me of my childhood
Old 15-12-07, 00:04   #17
latso

latso is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my name is latso...and i haven't read a book for 6 years ops: ops:

Before this period i've read 300+ books for 5-6 years. I've been reading a lot and all kind of different style of literature.

The same as GH, my N1 favourit book is King Rat!
I cannot say it is the super best ever on earth, but it was the first that unleashed this passion for reading.

Some of the authors i like a lot are - (sorry for the wrong spelling in case) - Norman Mailer, Jack Kerouac, Kurt Vonnegut (one of my big favourits, i enjoy reading any of his books), Bukowski, John Grisham ops: , Coelho, but also Lev Tolstoy, Sellinger, Agatha Christie, Hugo, Dumas (both of them), Zola (a tough one, if you never read anything of him, don't start with Tereze Raquin...), Maupassant, Camus, Ionesco, Antoine de Saint-Exupery....and many others. A big load of French writers btw.

I'm not too much into science fiction and fantasy but the guys i liked were Douglas Adams - hillarious, great style, very relaxing. And Isaak Asimov - if you see smth from this guy on some shelf, do not miss it! One of the hugest science fiction writters ever imo.

I've had a bit of everything, also some criminal stuff, even the erotic booklets, a lot of different books.

And i was enjoying this period very much, i believe that this period + my 8th grade (and especially my French teacher Mr.Steck - if you read this - respect) build up the person that i am today.

Now 99% of what i read is on my god damn pc ops:

Reading is a blessing.
Cheers
latso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-07, 01:10   #18
AI

AI is an unknown quantity at this point

Like latso I spend much more time reading on the pc, and I'd like to think most members on this board do the same.

Currently I'm reading The Celtic Tiger by Poul Sweeney. If you want to know the story behind Irish economy that's your book But let's get real, I'm only reading this book because I have to write an report on the development in Irish economy.

When I'm not busy reading books I'm forced to read and not sitting in front of the pc, I like reading books related to sport stars. I read Oliver Kahn - Nummers eins, and my next book is lying in front of me and waiting to be read. The title: Eddie Guerrero: Cheating Death, Stealing Life
AI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-07, 01:22   #19
gwen

gwen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG
I read loads and i mean loads of books. Ian Rankin, Bernard Cornwell, Stephen King, Shaun Hutson, John Connolly, Clive Barker et. etc. and also autobiographies.
i didn't realize you could read

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI
and my next book is lying in front of me and waiting to be read. The title: Eddie Guerrero: Cheating Death, Stealing Life
Eddie Guerrero was the best, there's a dvd too
gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-07, 02:56   #20
AI

AI is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI
and my next book is lying in front of me and waiting to be read. The title: Eddie Guerrero: Cheating Death, Stealing Life
Eddie Guerrero was the best, there's a dvd too
Yeah, but I thought reading the book was a better option than being lazy and ordering the DVD.

I miss watching Latino Heat and his frog splash. As if it wasn't enough with Eddie dieing Benoit had to do some really bad sh*t, being my 2nd favorite.
AI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-07, 13:52   #21
Karra

Karra is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGUANA
Quote:
Nope, only got one of Selma's books, and unfortunatley it's in bad condition... kind of old, barely holding itself together... it's a 1957 edition, translated in romanian...

as for your suggestion... can you also post a more... understandable title (the one in english, or smth), because I'd really like to read it... will prob remind me of my childhood
I also read Nils Holgersson, in school in its original language, about in age of 10. It really was a wonderful book, even if it is a long story, I read it in less of a week.

I beleive Selma's best known book and the most critically acclaimed is Jerusalem. I haven't read it myself, but saw the TV series based on the book. You should maybe check it out.

I nowadays read mostly suspense/horror books, like those from Clive Barker and especially Dean Koontz. The latter one I recommend for all horror fans. King I don't like much myself, not scary enough in my taste.
Old 16-12-07, 14:26   #22
bside

bside has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm a mad fantasy fan too, cheers, arsenalno, arbiter!

I've read all sort of things (and I mean really all, from crime novels to zoology books) as a teenager. Then, somewhere around 19 or 20, I turned 100 % to fantasy and SF.

Arbiter mentioned Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire'', fully agree, wonderful saga. Still, my all-time # 1 is Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time'.. Most of the things said, fit perfectly here too - gorgeous, live and real world, full-blooded characters, constant suspense. I wish Jordan eternal life, just to keep writing this forever

Another one, again brutal real fantasy - Stephen Ericsson's Malazan Book of the Dead. This is pure action, with all the necessary morals hidden for those who dare to dig deeper for them

These 3 sagas are absolutely must-read for any fantasy fan out there, believe me guys![/b]
bside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-07, 22:15   #23
IGUANA

Don't want to be boasting around... but I'm also writing a fantasy novel ops: so, guys from Romania at least... expect it soon in the libraries
Old 17-12-07, 01:02   #24
arsenalno1
Super Moderator

How about sharing a chapter with us then? A little teaser...

Btw, I couldn't find a review for the book - I'd post one myself, if I'd actually read it :P - but here's one on the film "The Saga of Gösta Berling":

Quote:
The Saga of Gosta Berling is without a doubt one of the most beautiful and haunting films I have ever seen in my life. I was lucky enough to only see the improved Kino version, however. Trust me, if you long to see this incredible film, please just save up and buy the elegant Kino version. You won't be sorry you did! No other cheaper version will capture the story and it's just not worth it...

The film is long (three hours) but every second is precious. Perhaps it could have been cut shorter to make the plot more simple but who would want that? Hopefully I'm not the only one but when the words "The End" come across the screen my heart aches and I truly want more. Despite how long the film is, many elements from the book by Selma Lagerlöf had to be cut out in order to avoid a ten-hour-long drama. Be sure to hunt down a copy of the story and read it for yourself. Each and every character is so complex and interesting and every chapter is like a moving short story.

The acting is absolutely superb. Hanson and Garbo have such amazing chemistry that you literally feel as if you'll melt when they simply stare at each other with their expressive, longing eyes. Besides the two main stars, everyone gives great performances, besides Torsten Hammarén. He seemed to have the same annoying facial expression the whole time. Maybe that's just the way his character was suppose to be (Henrik Dohna) but I doubt it, since I recall his character in Erotikon (1920) having that same, stupid look.

The main reason I encourage everyone to see the Kino version is for the soundtrack. The soundtrack for the Kino version of The Saga of Gosta Berling is soaring, gorgeous, and completely wonderful. It's the greatest soundtrack I have ever heard for a silent film. I literally get goosebumps on my arms when I feel the melodies run through me. Matti Bye has created a score that fits the story so perfectly that it's unbelievable.

Everything and everyone in this film is stunning visually. We get to see many shots of the magical country of Värmland and its ravishing scenery. Many lovely actors and actresses were chosen and they absolutely glow with beauty. Lars Hanson and Greta Garbo are both hauntingly beautiful, along with the actress Mona Mårtenson, who plays Ebba Dohna.

Honestly, I can't come up with anything to say except, please watch this film and read the book too. The story will never leave you.
Old 19-12-07, 21:48   #25
OneDunMe

OneDunMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Two books I'm ashamed to say I've never read are "Catcher in the Rye" and "To kill a mockingbird".

I have the latter on my bookcase ready to start next week when I've finished my current book.

Anyone read them and have any thoughts on them?
OneDunMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-07, 22:04   #26
George_Hanson
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDunMe
Two books I'm ashamed to say I've never read are "Catcher in the Rye" and "To kill a mockingbird".

I have the latter on my bookcase ready to start next week when I've finished my current book.

Anyone read them and have any thoughts on them?
Anytime I finished reading C.i.t.R, I wanted to kill the whole world. Great, short book. You will finish it in 2 hours and you will be mad at everybody after finishing. At least these were my feelings.
Old 19-12-07, 22:10   #27
OneDunMe

LOL

I've heard that said before mate. I understand that the guy who shot John Lennon said it was his favourite book.

I think there's a new film out soon about him and CITR features in it too.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 20-12-07, 00:28   #28
arsenalno1
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDunMe
That goes for me too but hopefully I'll get there sometime soon... I've just started reading another one that's been on my list for years, though:
How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn.

Written 70 years ago, about a South Wales mining family, through the eyes of the family's youngest son.

"The strength of this book is the quietness, the ancient peace of the Valley and mountainside, and in deep appreciation of everything in life."

"A story packed with incident and thought: with comedy and tragedy, with drama, danger, courage, song... With the love of comrades, of kin and of women. To read it is a joy and an adventure."

I've just started it, but already I can say I love it!

"There was never any talk while we were eating. Even I was told to hush if I made a noise. And that way, I think, you will get more from your food, for I never met anybody whose talk was better than good food."
Old 20-12-07, 00:35   #29
George_Hanson
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon.com
Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins, "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them." His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.
This is a very good summary of CITR. I advice you to read the text in Italics - this is exactly the style of this book, it is a very rebellious one. If that test in italics intrigued you - you should read the whole book. If not - better leave it.
Old 20-12-07, 18:40   #30
OneDunMe

I'm going for it. It'll have to be "mockingbird" first though as I don't have CITR yet.

Thanks for the taster