This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > Soccer >
Internationals/Friendlies

Internationals/Friendlies
Analysis and discussions (and predictions) for Internationals and friendly soccer games.

PINNACLE - accept very large stakes! Low juice!

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 03-05-18, 14:37   #1
Macot
Super Moderator

Macot is on a distinguished road
Default WORLD CUP Group B

15 Jun 2018 1 X 2 B's
17:00 Morocco - Iran 2.30 3.09 3.55
20:00 Portugal - Spain 4.47 3.50 1.88
20 Jun 2018 1 X 2 B's
14:00 Portugal - Morocco 1.55 3.93 7.05
20:00 Iran - Spain 18.23 6.53 1.20
25 Jun 2018 1 X 2 B's
20:00 Iran - Portugal 9.15 4.66 1.38
20:00 Spain - Morocco 1.38 4.71 9.29

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 31-05-18, 07:18   #2
latortuga

latortuga is on a distinguished road

Everyone will be expecting Spain and Portugal to be the 2 teams to qualify from this group, however while that may happen I fancy Morocco to possibly upset the apple cart here and beat one of them to 2nd place.

A quirk of fate is that both Spain and Portugal have to play each other first in the group which is slightly favourable to Morocco if (A) they win their first game against Iran and (B) Spain v Portugal ends a draw. Even if Spain wins then suddenly you could have Morocco on 3 pts, Spain 3pts and Portugal 0 pts. This would suit Morocco down to the ground as they are defensively strong and have speed to burn on the counter. Portugal aren't exactly the most creative team going around and much prefer playing in a similar way to Morocco so they could struggle under these conditions. Portugal still rely heavily on Ronaldo however he looks tired to me and maybe still not 100% after a few knocks this season - pretty much non-existent in the UCL final. Continuing on my scenario Morocco could get a draw from Portugal and then probably face a Spain team that may already be qualified by game 3.

Anyway there is enough there for me to take Morocco to qualify however as is the case with my bet on Peru I'll take Morocco to reach the Qtr Finals @ 14.00

Iran rock bottom @ 1.76
latortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-18, 09:59   #3
WiserthantheCrowd

WiserthantheCrowd is on a distinguished road

I also see upset potential here for Morocco. I think Portugal may be overrated and Morocco is underrated.

For me Portugal is overrated because while they are a household name as is Ronaldo the squad has aged and seems past its prime... Moreover, they were Euro champions in 2016 but that was a very lucky run and under other circumstances they would not have made it past the 1st round... The main contenders at center back are 34, 35 and 36 years old. Ruben Dias who is an alternative for that position just turned 21 and I'm not sure he's ready... Portugal aren't very dynamic and the attack is very dependent on Ronaldo and his form on a given day.

Of all the African teams, Morocco looks the most complete to me. They scored 11 goals in qualifying and conceded none. Like Algeria in the last WC, they can draw from a diaspora of European-born players. They boast a well-rounded organized defence headed by Mehdi Benatia. Their midfield is also structured and creative with players like Hakim Ziyech and they can pose a threat upfront... This is a very cohesive. organized and well-coached side.

I think Morocco will beat Iran and can beat or draw with Portugal so that it will all come down to the last day of play when Morocco might confront a Spanish side that is already qualified and may rest key players or take a more relaxed approach...

My picks are Morocco to qualify @6 and 1.Spain/ 2. Morocco @9.5.
WiserthantheCrowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-18, 16:25   #4
egomax

egomax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiserthantheCrowd View Post
I also see upset potential here for Morocco. I think Portugal may be overrated and Morocco is underrated.

For me Portugal is overrated because while they are a household name as is Ronaldo the squad has aged and seems past its prime... Moreover, they were Euro champions in 2016 but that was a very lucky run and under other circumstances they would not have made it past the 1st round... The main contenders at center back are 34, 35 and 36 years old. Ruben Dias who is an alternative for that position just turned 21 and I'm not sure he's ready... Portugal aren't very dynamic and the attack is very dependent on Ronaldo and his form on a given day.

Of all the African teams, Morocco looks the most complete to me. They scored 11 goals in qualifying and conceded none. Like Algeria in the last WC, they can draw from a diaspora of European-born players. They boast a well-rounded organized defence headed by Mehdi Benatia. Their midfield is also structured and creative with players like Hakim Ziyech and they can pose a threat upfront... This is a very cohesive. organized and well-coached side.

I think Morocco will beat Iran and can beat or draw with Portugal so that it will all come down to the last day of play when Morocco might confront a Spanish side that is already qualified and may rest key players or take a more relaxed approach...

My picks are Morocco to qualify @6 and 1.Spain/ 2. Morocco @9.5.
Very interesting bets (and odds!): I'll try them.
egomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-18, 18:25   #5
litost

litost is on a distinguished road

portugal one of my favs on 2nd group .... ( france and similars ) ...

they are not just ronaldo who btw is far from past his prime ....

silva & guedes are about th ebest atacking players one has seen at club level in europe ....

plus NT is full of exp units that allready won a big title couple years ago ...

tricky group ...
Old 03-06-18, 12:24   #6
sirac

sirac is on a distinguished road

Yep i dont rate Morocco that highly but indeed there is a slight posibility of an upset here mainly because how Portugal are set-up, defensive and playing for draw, if we remember last euro they were 3rd in group stages, drawing lots of games. But i wouldnt count on ageing as a factor against them, in fact it will prolly work their way because they have a smart coach and they play to their strenght. They dont get exposed because they defend very deep when all becomes about positioning and they wont get exposed by speedy attackers this way. This is very dangerous team once out of groups because they got talent, good organisation, mentality and know-how and they play tight, safity first so it will take something great to beat them. But they wont produce a miracle again, thats unlikely, very unlikely, but they will be very hard to beat, look at last friendly with Belgium and how they shut down their offense, great tactical team. I doubt they will not make it from this group.
Old 03-06-18, 18:37   #7
Miccho

Miccho is on a distinguished road

My impressions from Belgium - Portugal:

Portugal are a very smart team, even if they play ugly football. They managed to kill off the high tempo which Belgium was trying to impose and at some point took full control of the midfield. They know veyr well how to slow down the game.

I think Belgium has a lot of quality, but are not that good as a team. Lukaku is a deadwood and totally doesn't fit with the rest of the attacking players (De Broyne, Hazard, Mertens, Carrasco)- they are all technical, fast and small, and he is sluggish, clumsy and with poor technique. I feel Belgium will do better against top teams with Mertens or Hazard as fake nine.
Miccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 01:49   #8
latortuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miccho View Post
My impressions from Belgium - Portugal:

Portugal are a very smart team, even if they play ugly football. They managed to kill off the high tempo which Belgium was trying to impose and at some point took full control of the midfield. They know veyr well how to slow down the game.

I think Belgium has a lot of quality, but are not that good as a team. Lukaku is a deadwood and totally doesn't fit with the rest of the attacking players (De Broyne, Hazard, Mertens, Carrasco)- they are all technical, fast and small, and he is sluggish, clumsy and with poor technique. I feel Belgium will do better against top teams with Mertens or Hazard as fake nine.
Good info on Portugal and totally agree on Belgium. Many good individuals in certain parts of the field but not a great team collectively and I expect this will be found out later in the tournament.
Old 06-06-18, 05:44   #9
MarianoV6

MarianoV6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Iran is the first team to arrive in Russia (Bakovka, +1:30 hours from Tehran).

Sunrise at 3:57
Sunset at 20:34
Day length is 16 hours and 37min.

Last edited by MarianoV6; 06-06-18 at 05:59.
MarianoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 02:56   #10
latortuga

Apparently Spain have a horrible record in WC openers...

Prior to winning in 2002 they hadn't won an opening game since 1950 WC.

They won in 2006, but lost in 2010 and 2014 as we know.
Old 10-06-18, 00:25   #11
latortuga

A few notes from Spain v Tunisia...

As to be expected Spain had all the possession, while Tunisia sat in a defensive formation and dealt pretty well with everything Spain had to offer. Tunisia didn't really offer much threat on the counter and it wasn't until late in the game when Lopetegui added a bit more goal threat in both Costa and Aspas did they finally create a goal after Tunisian gk went walkabout. If Tunisia's approach is an insight to how they will setup against England then England could find it hard to score.

There are question marks for me and also Spanish newspapers about where goals are going to come from in this Spain team. Marca is asking for Aspas to start and while they are regularly wrong and unlikely that Lopetegui listens, I have to agree that I don't see a lot of goal threat in this side other than individual brilliance from Isco/Silva etc. Costa will likely start upfront but Spain's style doesn't really suit his game which is much more suited to having space to attack.
Old 10-06-18, 00:33   #12
litost

problem is not goalscorers .. problem is usual crowd midfield ... realy too much on non-depth posssion style ..or go with more direct one with fast good goalgetters wingers ...

rodrigo and aspas can play on sidelines and both have goal within specially gallego ...

at under 21 with lopetegui on helm the nt looked okw/o so much of that darn meaningless tikitaka ....

anyways its just friendlies ..id not take too much conclusions out of it

Last edited by litost; 10-06-18 at 00:41.
litost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 10:14   #13
latortuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by litost View Post
problem is not goalscorers .. problem is usual crowd midfield ... realy too much on non-depth posssion style ..or go with more direct one with fast good goalgetters wingers ...

rodrigo and aspas can play on sidelines and both have goal within specially gallego ...

at under 21 with lopetegui on helm the nt looked okw/o so much of that darn meaningless tikitaka ....

anyways its just friendlies ..id not take too much conclusions out of it
Maybe, let's talk after they play Portugal and then we'll really know where Spain's at. I'll leave you with a final stat...Spain won 14 straight friendlies before winning the WC in 2010. Their streak is at 1 for the last 2 years. Winning is a habit friendly or not.
Old 10-06-18, 12:09   #14
litost

what on earth ! . ...u talking about ...

mate i think u guys too excited ab wc... friendlies are just that ... in most cases a waste of time sp aftre loooooong club seasons .....

as measure may just be a little tiny hint of what goes on sp on stablished sides....

before euro 12 .. spain lost ag most top teams they faced at friendlies ... then won cup on style .... brasil is on great spirits couse they come from bad series ... they are eager to prove at every game ... but sides like germoney ..spain ... do not give a rats ar&se ...
and letme remind u what hapened vs argentina couple months ago .. and what the off record is at euro qualifiers ... thats what counts ..

still i see not spain as main fav .. good team .. we have adv of club like managing lately ... same ideas and game plan ..very similar .. lopetegui looked like blending in well new players .. but he needs to find right picture .. galons shall do rest to at least go far ...

then .. many factor play .. so many good teams in front .. like portugal ...

i see this group tricky ... probably theyll settle for dull 0-0 ...
Old 10-06-18, 13:59   #15
Miccho

I watched most of La Furia games and agree with Litost's judgment.

The main problem of this team is the lack of sharpness upfront (even if this didn't show so much in the qualifiers). Diego Costa not fitting well into this team, while Morata is out. The main goal-getter is David Silva - with all due respect, but he is a midfielder, and if he is your top goal-scorer, it means you have problems with the strikers.

Aspas and Rodrigo - good players, but NOT world class for sure. Spain might have a lot of trouble scoring goals vs stronger opponents.
Old 10-06-18, 17:18   #16
litost

yep .. id still always field costa ....

stil not same as at club level but improved from previoous qualification as all team ...

yesterday line up was strange so many so called jugones togueter makes no sense ...

koke or saul will have enter line up ... leave thiago free rol .. or bench him put iniesta or asensio instead ...

asensio started vs italy at bernabeu and in other big games .....

he feels obliged to field iniesta and has great feelings with thiago since u21 .... silva is his atacking boss and like thiago with isco has great understanding since u21

yet not everyone can be on first 11 ... i think as usual side defnders will be key atacking ...
Old 10-06-18, 18:12   #17
bangelov

bangelov is on a distinguished road

Does someone know whether Carvajal will be fit for the first match vs Portugal or Alvaro Odriozola will start as a RB?
bangelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 20:29   #18
litost

not sure yet ... id say they will not risk him .. but could train with group allready at start of next week ....

nacho is an option as well ...
Old 10-06-18, 20:43   #19
radicke

radicke is on a distinguished road

guys when you mention Spain problem with stikers first thing was EC with Portugal and Greece.Just hope won t be same on WC...
radicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 20:48   #20
litost

i do not think there is such problem ... at least not overwhelming ...

vs soft rivals .. goals will come ..vs top rivals that usually are not able to take ball from them spaces apear and its easier ...

still how many times weve seen nts going all th eway through tough defense ..

thats factor number one at knock out comp ....
Old 10-06-18, 22:41   #21
bangelov

bangelov is on a distinguished road

Quote:
not sure yet ... id say they will not risk him .. but could train with group allready at start of next week ....

nacho is an option as well ...
Thanks! I've also found an article that says Carvajal can even miss the first two games of Spain.
bangelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 11:42   #22
latortuga

Quote:
what on earth ! . ...u talking about ...

mate i think u guys too excited ab wc... friendlies are just that ... in most cases a waste of time sp aftre loooooong club seasons .....

as measure may just be a little tiny hint of what goes on sp on stablished sides....

before euro 12 .. spain lost ag most top teams they faced at friendlies ... then won cup on style .... brasil is on great spirits couse they come from bad series ... they are eager to prove at every game ... but sides like germoney ..spain ... do not give a rats ar&se ...
and letme remind u what hapened vs argentina couple months ago .. and what the off record is at euro qualifiers ... thats what counts ..

still i see not spain as main fav .. good team .. we have adv of club like managing lately ... same ideas and game plan ..very similar .. lopetegui looked like blending in well new players .. but he needs to find right picture .. galons shall do rest to at least go far ...

then .. many factor play .. so many good teams in front .. like portugal ...

i see this group tricky ... probably theyll settle for dull 0-0 ...
You say friendlies aren't important but then bring up Argentina?! C'mon man you can't have it both ways. Which one is it??? haha

My analysis of Spains friendly performances is more about the big picture and whether they have the right winning mentality and are consistent. While I agree they don't say a lot, put it all together and this Spain team is just a bit off beat for me. But only time will tell.
Old 11-06-18, 12:22   #23
litost

mate that stuuf you taking must be top material ....

u mention friendlies .. not me ... but spain numbers both at friendlies and off games is quite remarkable this so called 2 years campaign followin failure at euro ...

streak of 1 .. !? .. did you see rivals ?... belgium france germoney and england .. all away with 2-2-0 record .. .. .. still id not put too much on it ...

but when u start an argument u should do it through solid basis ....

wining mentality and consistency is there .... when u have real and barsa players that have won between all of them around 20+ big trophies - WC EURO and CL included - then tahts sort of given ....

but that alone does not make you numb 1 fav ..

i agree with miccho spain has not so many WClass players like france or brasil ... specially at atacking half .... but neither does germany ....

other factor aply to go all way ... at the end there are around 10 nts with very equal in quality .... then galons .... chew it up and spit it out like the song ..... and well team chemistry .. eagerness .. etc .. end up being decisive ...

i think on quality and motivation brasil is number 1 fav ...

a side used to be on finals has mised in last 6 big t attended ... and well the maracanazo deja vu moment vs germany got them all shocked and depressed so they are on a high right now following that depression ...

Last edited by litost; 11-06-18 at 12:24.
litost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 08:43   #24
MarianoV6

MarianoV6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Chaos with Lopetegui and with Spanish FA considering to replace him before WC starts (bull if you ask me, that's impossible and stupid to do). Press conference is today in a couple of hours from now
MarianoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 10:12   #25
Miccho

Lol, is this for real?!! It would be one of the stupidest acts in the history of World Cups.
Old 13-06-18, 10:21   #26
sirac

Looks very real reading marca, most likely they will release him. Absolutelly dumb if that happens.
Old 13-06-18, 10:32   #27
WiserthantheCrowd

WiserthantheCrowd is on a distinguished road

It won't happen. So no need to speculate about ifs and buts.
WiserthantheCrowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 11:15   #28
sirac

It just happened. How come youre so sure it wont happen?
Old 13-06-18, 11:40   #29
latortuga

Tragic news. Knew something didn't smell right about this team.

Will take an almighty effort to use this as a means of galvanising the team, but I don't really see the characters in the dressing room to do this.
Old 13-06-18, 12:10   #30
Miccho

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiserthantheCrowd View Post
It won't happen. So no need to speculate about ifs and buts.
Say this again...