This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > Soccer >
Internationals/Friendlies

Internationals/Friendlies
Analysis and discussions (and predictions) for Internationals and friendly soccer games.

PINNACLE - accept very large stakes! Low juice!

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 05-06-18, 22:26   #1
litost

litost is on a distinguished road
Default 14.06. 16:00 Russia - Saudi Arabia

14.06. 16:00 Russia - Saudi Arabia 1.42 5.00 11.50

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 07-06-18, 20:59   #2
Macot
Super Moderator

Macot is on a distinguished road

It will be very important to hear our Russian friends.
Can we trust their team against Saudi Arabia?
I have mixed feelings, I believe they will be pumped for this match and it is so important they land 3 points.
Saudis played 4 matches in the last month, started with 2-0 wins over Algeria and Greece, lost to Italy (1-2) and Peru (0-3) lately, but I dont know about teams they have used. For sure they should not be taken lightly. Few years ago they were in crisis but last couple of years they are improving and can be dangerous.
I remember when Arab teams first reached WC final stages in 1980ties, they were known by their style of play which was so soft that they never tackled oponents and sometimes ended matches on 0 fouls... but these days are past now and I can see them fighting like hell here. Mariano was mentioning the influence of Ramadan, I would say mentally it could give them huge boost...
Old 07-06-18, 21:17   #3
MarianoV6

MarianoV6 is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of physical condition, Ramadan will be a problem. But when it comes to mentality, Ramadan will be in their favor in a way and i will explain.

It's different when a team has 2-3 Muslims who are fasting (and the rest players are Christians or whatever else) and it's much different when the whole team is Muslims and they are all fasting.

In the second case, when all are suffering from hydration, tiredness, warm weather etc etc, they all feel each other much better, they can understand much better what the guy next to them is going through. So in a way, they will support more each other (covering spaces in the pitch and so on), they will be more "team".

In the first case, you can sympathize someone's pain as much as you want, but when you haven't go through his "pain", then you cannot completely understand him (as same goes for life for everyone).

So yeah, mentally i will give them a boost and it depends now how much their bodies can take this and how their preparation was.
MarianoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 21:17   #4
Miccho

Miccho is on a distinguished road

I am not Russian, Macot, but I think this Russia team cannot really be trusted - it is too limited and poor.

Nevertheless, Saudi Arabia is the weakest team in the whole tournament (no coincidence they landed in Russia's group, and no coincidence this is Russia's starting game - they have arranged the schedule so that it would favor the home team to the max) and if Russia don't win this game, they will drastically harm their chances to go out of the group.

So, I wouldn't touch handicaps, but I am certain Russia will eventually prevail. Maybe smartest move is to wait for odds to go up in-play. I am not sure Russia will score in the first half.
Miccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-18, 21:21   #5
Miccho

Mariano,

do you have information whether Saudi players are strictly following the Ramadan fasting? I know sometimes Muslims can get excused from fasting if good reasons not to fast (health problems, World Cup etc.). But Saudis are the most conservative and hardcore Salafi Muslims, so maybe they are fasting entirely.
Old 07-06-18, 21:34   #6
MarianoV6

As far as i know, they will be fasting with breaks, which is worst if you ask me. I don't know exactly cause i'm not in their team but i'm guessing it's gonna be like "they wont be fasting before each game and at their game day, and at their day offs they will be fasting".

And again, it is just a guess, but fasting with breaks it's what they will do
Old 08-06-18, 19:50   #7
Macot
Super Moderator

If russians does not score 3 against this defence i think they should go to siberia....
Old 08-06-18, 22:01   #8
Sinbad
Freshman

Sinbad is on a distinguished road

This is the worst Russia I've seen in like 20 years.
No clear game plan, horrible manager with huge ego, bunch of mediocre players (though the midfield is very young and promising, and could've been a building block under a good coach).
In last two friendlies (against Austria and Turkey) Russia could only get ONE shot on goal.
I don't care how poor Saudi Arabia is, I wouldn't put a penny on hosts, Never mind the games against Egypt and Uruguay.
Sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 01:31   #9
latortuga

latortuga is on a distinguished road

A couple of points on Saudi Arabia...

- They have quick forwards that are also quite technical so definitely capable of causing Russia problems on the break. Finishing chances will be their biggest challenge.
-Saudi Arabia are the shortest team in the WC by some distance - average 176.2 cm. Russia are one of the tallest at 184.2 cm average. Could make a big difference on set pieces. The disadvantage is less so against Egypt and Uruguay who are ~180cm average.
latortuga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 01:38   #10
latortuga

Old 09-06-18, 13:51   #11
litost

Quote:
Originally Posted by latortuga View Post
A couple of points on Saudi Arabia...

- They have quick forwards that are also quite technical so definitely capable of causing Russia problems on the break. Finishing chances will be their biggest challenge.
-Saudi Arabia are the shortest team in the WC by some distance - average 176.2 cm. Russia are one of the tallest at 184.2 cm average. Could make a big difference on set pieces. The disadvantage is less so against Egypt and Uruguay who are ~180cm average.

height is least of their problems defending weather on open play or set pieces ....

they usually stare and move towards ball unlike usual pros that move whilst taking a number of decisions on any given play ...

hence they usually arrive late and out of position ....

friendlies are one thing ... real stuff theyll get many yellows and probably reds .. only plus is likely at soem moment game will be decided and intensity lower by both sides...
Old 09-06-18, 18:29   #12
Ziherash

Ziherash is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I wouldnt touch Russia with a ten foot pole. Saudis can certainly play a bit and I can see the Russians having a tough time. Russia have struggled with just about every team theyve faced recently. They might edge it (refs assistance not excluded) in the end but you wont find me backing any handis or a straight HW as part of a combo! No thanks!

Last edited by Ziherash; 09-06-18 at 18:33.
Ziherash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 12:38   #13
litost

Over (2) 1.71 medium stakes

this si a no brainer ... ok fear to lose ..first game ..all focus ...
but when u think of SA defense and russia usual lack of bottle and how prone to mistakes at back they are then over comes to mind ...

for locals this is must win by all accounts if they have any hope to go through so they that fear to lose should be overcome somehow ... they have nice atacking players ... so due arabs tough im not sure at top level theyll deliver .. nice mooves ..speed and phisicall presence .. but at the end lack that comp touch .. still may nick one .. this shall finish 2-1 3-1 3-0
Old 11-06-18, 12:51   #14
rogumu

rogumu is on a distinguished road

0-0,1-0 or 1-1 if you ask me.
rogumu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-18, 13:04   #15
litost

i did not .... be a man .. put your toughts into pricks !!
Old 11-06-18, 14:09   #16
rogumu

Russia(rank 70.)-Sauddi Arabia(rank 67.) should be even game because no impressive performances for a long time from Russia,so 2 mediocre teams here and because of first game style of play is 99,99% very cautiously a draw cant be very big suprise here or...what i miss?

Last edited by rogumu; 11-06-18 at 14:14.
Old 11-06-18, 14:24   #17
Miccho

I don't think Russia will have "fear to lose". Saudi Arabia is the worst team in the whole tournament and if they don't beat them, Russians might easily say goodbye to the tournament.
Old 11-06-18, 14:29   #18
rogumu

Will see
Old 11-06-18, 21:10   #19
sirac

sirac is on a distinguished road

The more i think about this game and with odds going high for russians, the more im tempted to back the host nation. I know its not much logic in it because russians are bad, but saudis are also crap, their defending is dubious and i think russians will get all the help needed from ref crew. I will take them in combos.
Old 11-06-18, 21:45   #20
Macot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogumu View Post
Russia(rank 70.)-Sauddi Arabia(rank 67.) should be even game because no impressive performances for a long time from Russia,so 2 mediocre teams here and because of first game style of play is 99,99% very cautiously a draw cant be very big suprise here or...what i miss?

You miss the fact that you obviously did not watch Saudis defence.
They obtained their rank playing against other soft Asian teams. Russians had to fight with Europeans.
If Russia dont score at leat 2 here they should go home... wait a minute... not home ... Siberia...
Old 11-06-18, 22:28   #21
WiserthantheCrowd

WiserthantheCrowd is on a distinguished road

It would take something extraordinary in my view for Russia not to beat Saudi... It won't be a thrashing but I am expecting them to beat Saudi 2-0 or 3-1. While Saudi do have some nice attacking players, their defense is left wanting... They've also had a turnover of trainers and approaches so that they haven't had time to settle in on a new formation and style of play... These guys are used to being on the attack in their local league from the get go. It requires a bit of a style shift for them to operate defensively and their new trainer hasn't had much time to work with them on their tactics...
WiserthantheCrowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 11:59   #22
latortuga

I agree with most posters about goals here, particularly if Cherchesov has been telegraphing exactly how he plans to setup in his friendly games. He has Russia playing with a high line which increases their ability to control possession and increase their offensive threat but also exposes them to greater risk on the counter, which Saudi Arabia have. Pizzi has introduced a much more possession based style since taking over from Van Marwijk, however Saudi players will struggle under Russian pressure not to turn it over in their own half. Could be an exciting and entertaining game to open the tournament; well let's hope so.

Russia v Saudi Arabia over 2.5 goals @ 2.28 (cover CS Russia 2-0)
Old 12-06-18, 17:30   #23
Palini

Palini is on a distinguished road

Not only in this thread, but in many other threads about the world cup, the "general consensus" in here seem to be that the asian teams this time around is well...pretty much crap. How did we come to this conclusion? Why are the asians teams seemingly worse off than ever this time around? Was the quality of the football in the asian qualifications horrific bad or what? Is it because the four asian teams in the last world cup, only managed to snatch three points in total? Is there anyone from Asia writing in here and have an opinion about this?

Last edited by Palini; 12-06-18 at 17:37.
Palini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 18:02   #24
litost

im not from asia ... ( spent loon time in there tough ... but have not insight into their footie )
since im here i shall make a (perhaps educated ) comment .....

from outside it seems Korea and Japan are not having best feeling with their locals coaches ...

another factor wich is conected may be like with concacaf teams their rivals are usually not measure and no challange so they can not really build on it ..

anotehr factor .... present football is about off systems overpowering & outsmarting defensive ones look f.i CL last stages this season .... it used to be tight .. now we have futsal scores all over place ... ...since both korea and japan ... or iran ( SA out of ecuation ) .. mainly have players from locals leagues in the back .. it tells the diference both in quality and in brains ...

both korea & japs look like having def qoes ... but id not rule them out from doing good group phase and WC .. both have cracking atacking players and can compete .. meaning they will not defeat themselves like it usually hapens with subsaharians or concacaf medium class ......

iran i think may have smthg to say at this wc .. they are in tough group tough ... but sp and port will have not easy path perhaps ....

aussies set of players do not have so much flair as 4/o years be4 ... still they always compete .. as most sides with anglosaxon background .....

cheese
Old 12-06-18, 18:58   #25
MarianoV6

Less than 48 hours left and i think it's time to start analyzing the games and discuss them in a way which is leading to specific bets for each specific game at each specific threat.

I will start with this one, i don't have much to say except that we are talking about one bad team and one worst team. If it wasn't WC and if host team wasn't involved, i would probably had turn my eyes already on the next game.

Typically, the host team is getting a little "push" cause nobody wants to see the stadiums empty. And i'm not talking about stadiums in which Spain is facing Portugal but in games like Tunisia v Panama. Keeping the host team in the game is making the Russian citizens going to buy tickets for every game. It is good also for other reasons like local sponsors etc etc. Other political reasons might be included for which i have no knowledge of course.

SA has proven that they are sharp up front with 2-3 players, i wached the same thing couple months back when they faced Greece. BUT they are also vulnerable at the back. Playing on the last day of Ramadan will affect them in a way since the game is at 18:00 local time which is near to 3 hours and 30 minutes before sunset (this means, if they are fasting, they wont be having a drink or eat since sunrise which is at 3:45). Basically, they wont be able to replace body fluids for little more than 12 hours till kick off.

Russia is bad, yes, but they will have a boost from their fans which might be a big factor if the players are motivated enough and correctly (pep talk).

One bet that someone could take is Russia -1 cause i believe this game will end 2-0. It might also end 2-1 tho is SA will go all in from the start and try to surprise since they will know that after 60' or so of playing it will be more difficult taking fasting and home ground in mind. So basically, the Russia -1 is out for me. Instead i am thinking of going for Russia to score over 1.5 goals which is covered in both results (2-0 and 2-1) and odds are fine for me for this bet at 1.72. It covers also a possible 2-2 so it should be ok i guess.

That's the first bet i can think of from this game, i haven't check tho to see other available bets.
Old 12-06-18, 19:22   #26
MarianoV6

Argentinian Nestor Pitana is the referee for his game. He will be assisted by compatriots Juan Pablo Bellati and Hernan Maidana, with Sandro Ricci from Brazil designated as the fourth official.

The Video Assistant Referee team is composed by Massimiliano Irrati of Italy (VAR); Mauro Vigliano of Argentina (AVR 1); Carlos Astroza of Chile (AVR2) and Daniele Orsato, Italy (AVR3).
Old 12-06-18, 19:25   #27
MarianoV6

Motivating speech/interview from Russian striker Artem Dzyuba asking the whole country to support them.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/featu...-to-win-493584

https://sputniknews.com/worldcup-201...russia-dzyuba/
Old 12-06-18, 19:27   #28
MarianoV6

interview from Yahya Al Shehri yesterday night to have something from SA as well

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/featu...rld-cup-493464
Old 12-06-18, 19:36   #29
footballeye

footballeye is on a distinguished road

Are Asian teams that bad? I think so, the national teams ranking shows only one asian team among the first 50 (Iran at #37). This probably reflects the asians' true level.

As of Russia, the defense is real bad, and the goalkeeper is not reliable. But the midfield has some decent quality with Zhirkov, Dzagoev, Samedov, Kuzyaev, very talented Miranchuk (the better of the two) and Golovin. Dzyuba and Smolov are good enough forwards to score against Saudis. Smolnikov plays the right back but he started life as forward and his support of the attack is very good. He also tends to play better for the national team than for the club. Overall I think that this group of players can beat Saudis even with while guided by a weak coach. Agree with Russia over 1.5 goals. As of Saudis, if they really don't eat for 12 hours prior to the game, I don't think they have much of a chance. How can they play hungry?! So won't trust them to score here even against weak Russia defence.
footballeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 20:24   #30
Dorm

Dorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Better to skip this game. I don't know much about SA team (but think that in these circumstances they can stop to fast before game). Important thing that nobody in Russia don't believe that national team can promote in next tour (exluding striker Dzyuba, may be). Bad coach, just average players... choose another game, that is all.
Dorm is offline   Reply With Quote