This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > Soccer >
Internationals/Friendlies

Internationals/Friendlies
Analysis and discussions (and predictions) for Internationals and friendly soccer games.

PINNACLE - accept very large stakes! Low juice!

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 02-07-18, 21:18   #1
Macot
Super Moderator

Macot is on a distinguished road
Default 1/4 finals 07/07 16:00 Sweden v England

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 03-07-18, 07:36   #2
latortuga

latortuga is on a distinguished road

haha England fans would be so made seeing this, your jinxing their best chance in a long time.
latortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 21:34   #3
bonuses7
Freshman

bonuses7 is an unknown quantity at this point

England will win this in the shootout!
bonuses7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 22:58   #4
Karl-Heinz

Karl-Heinz is an unknown quantity at this point

5,00 - 3,30 - 1,85 in average

Immediately took 1,95 +0,5.
Think Sweden is even harder to beat than Colombia.
Karl-Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 01:26   #5
Prija
Super Moderator

Prija is on a distinguished road

Schedule makers weren't really kind to England, they played very physical 120 minutes tonight, and now they have to travel 1000 km to Samara and play an early game on Saturday. Not much time to rest up and prepare the game well. Granted Sweden won't be super fresh either, but at least they didn't have to play 120 minutes.

Same as Karl Heinz, I am very impressed by this Sweden team and their team play, they are tough as nails. With Zlatan in his prime they would be my pick for the medals, now the question remains will they have enough firepower to go further?
Old 04-07-18, 02:07   #6
WiserthantheCrowd

WiserthantheCrowd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl-Heinz View Post
5,00 - 3,30 - 1,85 in average

Immediately took 1,95 +0,5.
Think Sweden is even harder to beat than Colombia.
Sweden are a very cohesive side that play very well together - the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts. Nonetheless, I think this still is a rather limited side in terms of individual quality, especially upfront, and they're certainly not at the same level as Colombia. I favor England to get the job done before they have to go to a shootout. This seems a much easier game for England than Colombia. Fatigue and travel could be a factor but I doubt it will make enough of a difference for Sweden. After all many England players were rested against Belgium.
WiserthantheCrowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 06:59   #7
Palini

Palini is on a distinguished road

I also don't see fatigue to be a factor here, at least not in Swedens favor. After all we played just four hours earlier (even though not 120 minutes) and have to make that same long journey to Samara. If anything I think Sweden will suffer more from fatigue than England. We have played with virtually the same eleven players now in four straight games, and we looked very tired the last 20 minutes of that Swiss-game, imo.

This should be another one of those tight, low scoring-affairs. I'm starting to fear Sweden has had their fun now. We did a great game against Mexico, but were kind of bad against Switzerland, imho. I don't know, maybe I'm too pesimistic here again. Switzerland probably also have a lot better D than Mexico. It was a super solid defensive effort on our part and I think Gustav Svensson over shined Sebastian Larsson, but other than that we looked a bit bellow par. But we work hard and together, and still have those "lucky bounces" on our side. Also, apart from those last ten seconds against Germany, we haven't been forced to chase goals either. Sweden has taken the lead in all games so far, and that of course suits us very well, considering the way we play.

Hopefully we can put in a higher gear (here's looking at you Berg) and give England a real run for the money. They shoud suit us fairly well, even though this is not the "typical" England side. Southgate has done a real good job and England looks very promising indeed, and I'm 100 % sure England will put in as much elbow grease into this game as Sweden.

Last edited by Palini; 04-07-18 at 07:31.
Palini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 08:05   #8
Daneck

Daneck is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prija View Post
With Zlatan in his prime they would be my pick for the medals, now the question remains will they have enough firepower to go further?
Maybe absence of him is one of the keys to their success, who knows...
Daneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 09:03   #9
latortuga

Not sure I'd want to be backing Sweden when their tactic is to sit in a low block and have both Toivonen and Berg helping out in the defensive line. They've been pretty fortunate with their goals coming from deflections where otherwise their attackers lack clinical finishing which is required later in the tournament.
Old 04-07-18, 11:16   #10
sirac

sirac is on a distinguished road

I dont think Sweden just sits back on a low block, that is Uruguay. They do press higher on the pitch and sometimes they even have counters out of it like in Mexico or Germany game which resulted in goals. Its a team that doesnt refuse to play, i dont see them as negative as other teams. Sure they had their share of luck with deflections, but this is a good team, honest, organised, fit, physicall and England for sure wont underestimate them.
England played an ugly game vs Columbia, loads of fouls, yellows,unnecessary physical contact. Game was lacking any tempo, and it was columbians who wanted that, maybe to cut the pace advantage of England so in a way they admitted the english superiority even before game started, refusing the game and trying negative tactics. For sure Sweden will not use this dirty tactics, its different mentality and im pretty sure they will have a go and test England, more than Columbia did. England should have the advantage here, but its still a young and inexperienced side, in crucial moments it can bite you, like it was with Columbia equalizer. I am not sold into this 1.9 favorite, i wasnt before Columbia game and im convinced Sweden deserves more respect here. But that would mean backing them which is another thing i dont like, given the fact they havent shown much offensive moves but still scored in every game and created chances. Im thinking about BTS. I reckon it should be a good game similar to Ger-Swe, except this time we will have a more direct and pacey team and not a slow turtle moving the ball sideways and feading it to Sweden's CD. Offensive form and quality should be England advantages.
Old 04-07-18, 17:02   #11
fab66

fab66 is on a distinguished road

To win a World Cup it takes defense, lucky episodes and athletic condition

England as always melts in direct elimination, seem short of breath and poor in attack, only Kane
Excellent team organization of Sweden, excellent in defense, have no valid attackers but with their game are very very dangerous (for me favored Sweden on the counterattack )
fab66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 05:27   #12
latortuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirac View Post
I dont think Sweden just sits back on a low block, that is Uruguay. They do press higher on the pitch and sometimes they even have counters out of it like in Mexico or Germany game which resulted in goals. Its a team that doesnt refuse to play, i dont see them as negative as other teams. Sure they had their share of luck with deflections, but this is a good team, honest, organised, fit, physicall and England for sure wont underestimate them.
England played an ugly game vs Columbia, loads of fouls, yellows,unnecessary physical contact. Game was lacking any tempo, and it was columbians who wanted that, maybe to cut the pace advantage of England so in a way they admitted the english superiority even before game started, refusing the game and trying negative tactics. For sure Sweden will not use this dirty tactics, its different mentality and im pretty sure they will have a go and test England, more than Columbia did. England should have the advantage here, but its still a young and inexperienced side, in crucial moments it can bite you, like it was with Columbia equalizer. I am not sold into this 1.9 favorite, i wasnt before Columbia game and im convinced Sweden deserves more respect here. But that would mean backing them which is another thing i dont like, given the fact they havent shown much offensive moves but still scored in every game and created chances. Im thinking about BTS. I reckon it should be a good game similar to Ger-Swe, except this time we will have a more direct and pacey team and not a slow turtle moving the ball sideways and feading it to Sweden's CD. Offensive form and quality should be England advantages.
Well even if Uruguay do it more - not sure on this - one of Sweden's main strategies is to sit in a low block. England's players are surprisingly confident when playing out from the back and seemed to be able to pass around/through Colombia with a good degree of confidence which you don't usually equate with England sides. I would put this down to the 'Guardiola effect' and also the benefit of a number of players coming from Tottenham and playing under a good passing manager in Pochetino. Based on this, I don't see much difference to how both teams played in their previous games so would expect an England side to have majority of the possession and Sweden sitting back and trying to hit them on the counter. There are certainly signs that this tactic could work against England as Maquire and Stones, but especially Walker take some risks or can lose concentration as we saw against Colombia. Sweden's wide defensive line also works really well in defending the wings which is where England try to create overlaps through their 5 man 'wing back' system. This should limit dangerous runs and crosses into the box for Kane to get on the end of. The more I look at this game the more I feel this will be decided by a single goal and maybe even end 0-0. The only exception would be if England score early as I could see them taking advantage of slow Granqvist with their pacey attackers if they are having to chase the game.

Last edited by latortuga; 05-07-18 at 05:33.
Old 05-07-18, 10:26   #13
SeanPrice
Freshman

SeanPrice is on a distinguished road

England to do more corners than Sweden is one the best things for me that I've lately seen.

I'm taking it.
SeanPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 10:35   #14
sirac

Yea it came out wrong from me. Of course they do defend low and they do a great job defending, blocking shots and closing spaces, so yea it will be probably similar with Columbia game, with the exception of tempo which was really slowed down by los cafeteros. I dont think Sweden will do that and i think they will be more entrepising offensivelly than Columbia was because, that was i trying to say, they do look to break and they tend to create(6 goals scored in 4 games, while Uruguay has 7 and they dont have Cavani and Suarez, but ofc its a bit of a compliment for swedes because some of their goals were indeed lucky) and im pretty sure they will have their chances here because as much Southgate tries to controll tactically the game, they are still vulnerable at the back and inexperience can hit you anytime. If they will manage to score thats another thing. Yea it should be low scoring because England havent created huge amount of chances from open play, they scored mostly set-pieces and penalties and because Sweden is very serious on defending but just cant have the guts to back under when England is involved, it can easily bite you with their youth and pace.
Old 06-07-18, 08:47   #15
MarianoV6

MarianoV6 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is it i believe for England. This is the only game that matters most of all, more than the previous one against Colombia, more than the next one against Croatia or Russia, even more than the final. It is time for the boys to become men and play against men. Against a team that is tough, a team that doesn't have any important missing as far as i know, a team that it is more thirsty than any other team i believe (regarding history, size of nation, big names, etc etc) and against a team that is starting to believe at the miracle which is a hell of a motive and they will give a hell of a fight for that.

I saw England being tactically perfect against Colombia at the start of the game but the luck of experience made them lose the "chemistry" at some point, the balance on their line. After some point, it looked more like each player was trying to do something extra, with the mug Sterling to be the "captain" at this. It will depend if they have learn their lesson from that, but i think we will see England once again at the start very good tactically and very disciplined. And it will be very difficult for Sweden to create a chance at the first minutes. The experience of the Swedish tho will balance the game at some point.

This game will depend a lot from the line ups and it goes for both team. For example, i think Toivonen is not needed from the start at this game. He will be slow and will not offer much. England has a good pace and they will have control of the game, so Toivonen will likely being wasted and get tired for nothing. After all, Berg can work better together with one fast player next to him in the attack with him being the main force. Berg and Forsberg can work good together i believe. On the other hand, England need finally to drop Sterling and start with Rashford. My opinion is that Rashford is simple much more mature than Sterling and is better in a lot of things which England will require here (body type, long shot, cooperation in the attack with other players - cause Sterling is way too much selfish). Sterling may be fast but he is very small and he will find a big wall against him from Swedish defense (regarding height and space).

Anyway, we will see when time comes, still a lot of things in my mind regarding the tactical approach from both sides.
MarianoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 10:35   #16
latortuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianoV6 View Post
This is it i believe for England. This is the only game that matters most of all, more than the previous one against Colombia, more than the next one against Croatia or Russia, even more than the final. It is time for the boys to become men and play against men. Against a team that is tough, a team that doesn't have any important missing as far as i know, a team that it is more thirsty than any other team i believe (regarding history, size of nation, big names, etc etc) and against a team that is starting to believe at the miracle which is a hell of a motive and they will give a hell of a fight for that.

I saw England being tactically perfect against Colombia at the start of the game but the luck of experience made them lose the "chemistry" at some point, the balance on their line. After some point, it looked more like each player was trying to do something extra, with the mug Sterling to be the "captain" at this. It will depend if they have learn their lesson from that, but i think we will see England once again at the start very good tactically and very disciplined. And it will be very difficult for Sweden to create a chance at the first minutes. The experience of the Swedish tho will balance the game at some point.

This game will depend a lot from the line ups and it goes for both team. For example, i think Toivonen is not needed from the start at this game. He will be slow and will not offer much. England has a good pace and they will have control of the game, so Toivonen will likely being wasted and get tired for nothing. After all, Berg can work better together with one fast player next to him in the attack with him being the main force. Berg and Forsberg can work good together i believe. On the other hand, England need finally to drop Sterling and start with Rashford. My opinion is that Rashford is simple much more mature than Sterling and is better in a lot of things which England will require here (body type, long shot, cooperation in the attack with other players - cause Sterling is way too much selfish). Sterling may be fast but he is very small and he will find a big wall against him from Swedish defense (regarding height and space).

Anyway, we will see when time comes, still a lot of things in my mind regarding the tactical approach from both sides.
I can't see Toivonen being dropped, yes he is slow but he at least big and physical creating a good target if Sweden go long or at FK/CK. To this point he has played all games and the coach has managed to work him into their defensive schemes despite his slowness. Removing him would mean Berg would have to play a lot of the time alone up against England's 3 CB's which would reduce even further the few chances Sweden create when in possession.

What did Sterling do to you? haha You really don't like him, hey!? I actually have the complete opposite view of him and thought he played really well against Colombia, constantly dropping into midfield in tandem with Kane to offer options to England's 3 CB's. He made some nice turns as well and with a bit better composure, which he has showed this season for Man City, maybe could have had a goal or SOT. When he was substituted late in the game for Vardy you could see the impact it had on England as they struggled badly in the 1st half of ET and couldn't get much going up front with Kane isolated and with Vardy lacking the work rate or technique to do what Sterling does. I do however agree that Rashford deserves to start but I'd be more inclined to replace Lingard with him as while Mourinho has brought Lingard on in his development as a player this season he is still very limited and you could see when he got into dangerous positions his technique really let him down. If Delle Alli is out we could see some changes but it may be more negative with Southgate choosing to use Loftus Cheek - very physical player, but slow and poor technically. Rashford is pure attacker and can't provide passing options that Sterling does, sorry man, but no way Southgate drops him.
Old 06-07-18, 10:46   #17
sirac

Yea "could have had" thats the story with Sterling. And i get the fact that he is important to the system, because England offensivelly is about constant movement and swaping positions of front 3 or 4 cause sometimes even Kane dropps to help the build-up, but boy he has zero achievement in i dont know how many games. Its not only Mariano, many english fans just dont like him because he just wastes attack after attack without creating any real danger. I believe his day will come when he will finally break this negative trend but Rashford should have taken his place long time ago, he deserves it. But thats just fan views, obviously Southgate knows better and has his reasons for backing him.
Old 06-07-18, 12:34   #18
latortuga

Quote:
Yea "could have had" thats the story with Sterling. And i get the fact that he is important to the system, because England offensivelly is about constant movement and swaping positions of front 3 or 4 cause sometimes even Kane dropps to help the build-up, but boy he has zero achievement in i dont know how many games. Its not only Mariano, many english fans just dont like him because he just wastes attack after attack without creating any real danger. I believe his day will come when he will finally break this negative trend but Rashford should have taken his place long time ago, he deserves it. But thats just fan views, obviously Southgate knows better and has his reasons for backing him.
I would love to know what England fans think about Delle Alli and Lingard's performances so far? No way Sterling deserves more criticism.
Old 06-07-18, 18:37   #19
litost

litost is on a distinguished road

england used their ever set pieces mastering vs colombians .. im not sure that would help them vs solid as rock swedes that have teh benefit of being way above their - on paper - level and have nothing to lose ....

3 lions were quite lucky vs colombia on pks ... and showed bit of lack of bottle receiving last second .... maybe another surpirse !?

another one that is set for low scoring no doubt ... 0-0 !?
Old 06-07-18, 18:55   #20
WiserthantheCrowd

WiserthantheCrowd is on a distinguished road

Sweden have a solid defense but upfront they don't pose much of a threat upfront with Toivonen and Berg... They got lucky with some deflected shots so far... England, of course, also were lucky but without doubt Colombia was a much more formidable opponent... While 0-0 is a distinct possibility I think England can get the job done in regular time. I can't see Sweden advancing.
WiserthantheCrowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 10:12   #21
sirac

I took Stones over 75.5 passes in combo with Croatia to qualify. Not the greatest price as i remember him having 69 line at 2.2 with Columbia and that bet failed miserably as after the goal England just started throwing long balls baucause columbians were very agresive in pressing and gave up on their usual build-up but he had like 60 before the goal as they usually play through him on every attack, he tries to connect with midfield, even Pickford doesnt go long, just passes to him and i expect similar game today with swedes waiting in their half and England trying a slow build-up from the back. Of course an english goal might cause problems for the bet but i expect to learn something from that game and not give up on their plan but ofc there is the risk of swedish agresive pressing and they wont be able to pass through the back but thats the risk with every special bet, but the way i see it it will be hard to break that defense so it will take many minutes for first goal, might be even 0-0.
Old 07-07-18, 13:17   #22
Palini

I would also like to see Toivonen to be dropped for this game. As you all might know by now I'm not a huge fan of Toivonen, but just like MarianoV6 said, I don't see him being that useful or involved in this game. With that said, Toivonen have been better than Berg in this World Cup, but of course Janne Andersson won't change a thing for this game, unless he has to due to injuries/suspentions. Heck, Gustav Andersson could have everywhere on the pitch and scored 6 goals in the game against Switzerland and he would still not be playing in this game. So it's not even worth discusing, since it won't happen.

Sure, England to have more corners, but what happens if England takes an early lead? All these kind of bets depends much on how you expect the game to go.
Old 07-07-18, 13:52   #23
MarianoV6

Sterling in, Toivonen in

I guess none of these coaches read BA
Old 07-07-18, 13:54   #24
Macot
Super Moderator

Macot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianoV6 View Post
Sterling in, Toivonen in

I guess none of these coaches read BA

Well I guess some of the users explained why Sterling is an asset, although I too agree that Rashford would be a much better choice as he is more dangerous for the goal. Sterling is such a waste of oportunities...
But well I guess Southgate knows better than us two.
Old 07-07-18, 14:25   #25
latortuga

Qualifying Method - England Penalties @ 11.5

CS 0-0 / 1-1
Old 07-07-18, 14:36   #26
latortuga

Quote:
I took Stones over 75.5 passes in combo with Croatia to qualify. Not the greatest price as i remember him having 69 line at 2.2 with Columbia and that bet failed miserably as after the goal England just started throwing long balls baucause columbians were very agresive in pressing and gave up on their usual build-up but he had like 60 before the goal as they usually play through him on every attack, he tries to connect with midfield, even Pickford doesnt go long, just passes to him and i expect similar game today with swedes waiting in their half and England trying a slow build-up from the back. Of course an english goal might cause problems for the bet but i expect to learn something from that game and not give up on their plan but ofc there is the risk of swedish agresive pressing and they wont be able to pass through the back but thats the risk with every special bet, but the way i see it it will be hard to break that defense so it will take many minutes for first goal, might be even 0-0.
Interesting prop bet. GL

I prefer corners and cards because I can keep count on my fingers. Haha
Old 07-07-18, 15:46   #27
MarianoV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by latortuga View Post
What did Sterling do to you? haha
you still don't see it?
Old 07-07-18, 16:59   #28
sirac

That was just poor from Sweden. England just putting a shift without really sweating. I think Sweden were dead physically, energy management wasnt the greatest, all this running behind the ball will get you at one point. Football's coming home.
Old 07-07-18, 17:59   #29
Palini

Well, when England beats us in our best events (goal keeping, defending and set pieces) then it was never a question who would win it...

Can't be disappointed when we reached QF. Our offensive "aces" like Berg and Forsberg produced very little in the end, but Claesson did step it up and our defensive trio Granqvist, Lindelöf-Nilsson and Olsen though very good. Well done Sweden, and congrats to England who where the stronger and better side.
Old 08-07-18, 21:47   #30
SeanPrice
Freshman

SeanPrice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPrice View Post
England to do more corners than Sweden is one the best things for me that I've lately seen.

I'm taking it.
SeanPrice is offline   Reply With Quote