This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > Soccer >
Internationals/Friendlies

Internationals/Friendlies
Analysis and discussions (and predictions) for Internationals and friendly soccer games.

PINNACLE - accept very large stakes! Low juice!

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 02-07-18, 21:08   #1
Wilson
Super Moderator

Wilson is on a distinguished road
Default 1/4 finals - 07.07. 20:00 Russia - Croatia

3.77 3.08 2.21
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 02-07-18, 21:38   #2
Karl-Heinz

Karl-Heinz is an unknown quantity at this point

Odds are only given because of both last games.
Bookies expect the next over time?
Totally different game in comparison to Spain Russia.
Weird..
don***8217;t think Russia will defend as vs Spain and Croatia wont have 60-70% possession.
What tactics do Russia plan?
Karl-Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 23:01   #3
Miccho

Miccho is on a distinguished road

We can answer these questions after we see Russia lineup hopefully. But I wouldn't be surprised to see again a more negative Russia. It worked against Spain, and when the Russians were too confident and decided to play open footie vs Uruguay, they got completely owned. I believe this Uruguay game would have very big impact on coach Cherchesov and he will be very negative and defensive.

And honestly, I think this is the smarter tactics. Russia cannot match Croatia quality if they decide to go for an open game.
Miccho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 00:15   #4
Mikele

Mikele is an unknown quantity at this point

Many local experts and press are amazed at Cherchesov after Spain encounter, at how he rejected the game Russia has been practicing for two years (team high pressing) and managed to keep Busquets at bay with his forwards (man-oriented pressing) Dzuyba and Smolov. All of a sudden he becomes a great tactician now.

He may be as well as may be not, but if he really is it is interesting to see what else the Russian head coach comes up with. And it is difficult to predict. Even for the local media team Russia turned out to be "terra incognita". One of the best traits of this team, they say, is that players strictly follow coach's decisions, whatever they are.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 09:28   #5
sirac

sirac is on a distinguished road

Well based on last games encounters odds are bit inflated or they just seem to be inflated. Of course i didnt see it coming, thought Spain will find somehow a moment of magic but credit to russians they've defended soundly. Now they play Croatia, which is not a big name, so after passing through Spain dont tell me there is no euphoria on their camp, so i dare to believe they wont be that bus parking prone, i tend to believe they will be more curageous but it is a quarter final so yea prolly back assured is priority.
Croatia had 1.85 against the danes, those were definitelly inflated odds, now we have 0,25 line , which we should have had also in that game. But im still not convinced about russians deserving this honour, i mean being on par with the danes seems bit off. Certainly after Spain game you can say they do deserve it but on general note, lets be serious they are not on the same level. Croatia couldnt cope mentally against the danes, they were poor and overvalued by market now for me there is a bit of that pressure off. They arent such a big favorite now, everyone expected to beat Denmark after such great group stage, now they are playing hosts which are in good mood, they will face a hostile crowd, so a different mindset, which suits croats. I think both will play a much better offensivelly, it will be a good game, for east european standards and such a game will suit better to croats but im not really sold into this team so im still hesitating on hitting 0.25 on croats.
Old 03-07-18, 23:10   #6
footballeye

footballeye is on a distinguished road

Croatia has much more quality. Also Croats played exceptionally well in defense so far at this WC, with full concentration, which makes them very difficult to beat. Croatia DNB looks rock solid but I can see the odds dropped down to about 1.55 already. I think Cherchesov will play the same way as he did vs. Spain, no reasons to change the successfull tactics. Playing more open football against Croats may be dangerous.
footballeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 01:57   #7
WiserthantheCrowd

WiserthantheCrowd is on a distinguished road

With all due respect, Denmark vs. Croatia struck me as being one of the poorer games in the R16. Certainly Croatia are not a more difficult opponent than Spain for Russia. While Russia at home should be a more formidable opponent for Croatia than Denmark.... Russia have been underestimated so far - some punters held that they were definitely going to exit in the group stage. Then we were told that they had no chance against Spain and that they were going to be thrashed. Now they're going to be eliminated by Croatia?.... Croatia are great in MF but they're no world beaters upfront. In qualifying they struggled against Iceland's defensive blockade and the same happened versus Denmark. If Russia employ the right tactics (again), I think they could get something out of this game. With the crowd behind them, I do favor Russia here. Russia to advance at odds of 2.5 looks like good value to me.
WiserthantheCrowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 06:55   #8
Cyrus

Cyrus is an unknown quantity at this point

Why sirac think that Croatia is not a big name, we are not sure. Croatia is not Brasil, I agree, but we are in top of the world football for years now, rarely losing games even against "big names".

With most of these players playing in best world leagues, I rate us as tier 1 football team. Same as Brasil, France, England, Italy, Germany, Portugal.. As sirac can see, lot of these big names are already out and some havent even qualified. Croatia walked through qualifications (as usual), took maximum points in group while also humiliating Argentina.

Even "big name" teams can have poor game, difficult one. Look at England yesterday. Denmark played better football than Colombia IMHO and are much harder to beat (ask french footballers).

All in all, this side of the draw is opening to us. I believe in another great game of Croatia, win against Russia. That will satisfy me, even if we finish 4th after that. Although they are hosts, I rate Denmark as better team than Russia and everything else except Croatia win will be a huge surprise.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 07:00   #9
Cyrus

My personal bets will be: Croatia win in 90, France win in 90. England going to semifinal (even if going to extra time or/and penalties). And side bet on Belgium vs Brasil.
Old 04-07-18, 07:56   #10
Wilson
Super Moderator

Wilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Why sirac think that Croatia is not a big name, we are not sure. Croatia is not Brasil, I agree, but we are in top of the world football for years now, rarely losing games even against "big names".

With most of these players playing in best world leagues, I rate us as tier 1 football team. Same as Brasil, France, England, Italy, Germany, Portugal.. As sirac can see, lot of these big names are already out and some havent even qualified. Croatia walked through qualifications (as usual), took maximum points in group while also humiliating Argentina.

Even "big name" teams can have poor game, difficult one. Look at England yesterday. Denmark played better football than Colombia IMHO and are much harder to beat (ask french footballers).

All in all, this side of the draw is opening to us. I believe in another great game of Croatia, win against Russia. That will satisfy me, even if we finish 4th after that. Although they are hosts, I rate Denmark as better team than Russia and everything else except Croatia win will be a huge surprise.
I think that Croatia can be compared with some football clubs like Atletico Madrid or Borussia Dortmund. Strong teams, great players but always in the shadow of big names like Bayern, Juve, Real. Or in the case of Croatia always in the shadow of Italy (even thought they are not qualified for WC) Brazil, Argentina etc.. But Croatia has been an excellent team to watch so far in the WC and better not underestimate Denmark, i think it's a strong team with a good coach... And this kind of games are usually a big traps especially for Balkan mentality.

Let's be serious i don't expect Croatia to have the same percent of possesion as Spain did against the russians but at least i expect a similar game, Spain should have won big against Russia but maybe overconfidence, bad coaching or lack of creativity from top players are the reason of their shamefull defeat.

Croatia didn't look so well and fit against Denmark but you could still see the big class in them like the shoot of Rakitic at the end of the game and the great pass from Modric to Rebic wich led to penalty at the end of the extra-time.
Croatia are some class above Russia by far, the odds here are hard not to be taken as for me it should be the same as Spain-Russia.
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 08:15   #11
WiserthantheCrowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
With most of these players playing in best world leagues, I rate us as tier 1 football team.
Most Swiss play in the Bundesliga and while that is one of the better leagues, I would not rate Switzerland as tier 1 because of it. I think you're seriously overestimating Croatia... First of all, Croatia have little pedigree in the competition (same as Belgium). Secondly, they didn't look that convincing in qualifying (where they struggled against Iceland). Thirdly, the team hasn't really been tested so far - Sampaoli got his tactics and formation completely wrong while Nigeria and Iceland were among the weakest teams in the competition. Overall, I think it is fair to say that they were, in perhaps, the weakest group given the sorry state of Argentina. In the R16, Croatia versus Denmark also looked like one of the poorest games to me (2 sides that were lucky to have made it that far but don't deserve to go further). For me, Croatia are clearly NOT at the same level as Brazil, France, Belgium and England... I think they're an imminently beatable side for the hosts who have exceeded expectations and are on a roll. I really don't think that Croatia should be favored by a significant margin against Russia. I consider Russia to advance at 2.5 to be very generous odds.

Last edited by WiserthantheCrowd; 04-07-18 at 08:31.
Old 04-07-18, 09:01   #12
Cyrus

I didnt mean Bundesliga when I meant top leagues. We have players all over. Its true we are not top of the tops, but we are on the same level as Italy, England, Portugal etc.

We played on lot of championships in the last 20 years. So experience is there. Beaten many good teams over the years, or at least draw with them.

It wont be walk in the park vs Russia, but Croatia to qualify have more then 80% chance at least. It really depends just on us, how we will approach this game (its true sometimes we play poor, hence 20% on that).
Old 04-07-18, 10:19   #13
Cyrus

Also, its funny how english newspapers criticized croatian match vs denmark. What would they say today after England performance against Colombia? At least we scored a goal and missed obvious penalty. Imho, english penalty from last nights game was rather doubtfull.

Maybe I am subjective indeed, but England played much worse than we did vs Denmark. If we play with them in semifinal (hopefully), its is at least 50:50 match and everything is possible.
Old 04-07-18, 10:58   #14
WiserthantheCrowd

I agree that England got a bit lucky here. The penalty was harsh although it was legit... But without question, Colombia were a much more formidable opponent than Denmark. Overall, I think there's more quality in the English side and as time goes on they'll click so I would take them in a matchup against Croatia. But first Croatia have to get past Russia and I don't think that's a foregone conclusion. At these odds, I am on Russia. I think they can make it to 4th place. (It would also be great for the tournament if this happened.)
Old 04-07-18, 12:49   #15
Cyrus

Although they are hosts, they cant be that lucky. Their form prior to WC was quite poor (won one single game - friendly, in a year). They made it so far and noone believed in them, not even to made it through group phase. That is well respected, but its time to go down. Everyone knows that the road to final opened up quite nice for Croatia. And everything except playing it will be a big fail.
Old 04-07-18, 16:04   #16
cele

cele is an unknown quantity at this point

Wiser explained that from a betting perspective value definitely is on odds for Russia to advance with 2.5 and above.

Russia is the host of the tournament, they have a huge oportunity to leave a mark in WC competitions after many years, they already eliminated Spain and Croatia definitely doesn't look unbeatable, especially when Croatians are set as favourites and everything except their advancement would be considered as failure.

Croatia played great so far, but better teams not always win. Too much talks in advance about England could distract this team.

p.s. english newspapers like Sun, DailyMail, Star, Mirror are pure rubbish, don't take them too seriously.
cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 16:48   #17
Antoni753

Antoni753 is on a distinguished road

Hmm tough battle to be seen.Why the russians would bother themselves to change the tactic?Who would change something already proved beneficial?I was pounder over some cards,each side have physical players and I have seen some nasty chalenges from the croatians and we balkanians know what the balkan temperant could bring.I think it there will be a physical battle for predominance.Yet remains to be seen who will be the referee but I dont see a reason why not small lines like over 3.5 wont be fulfilled.
Antoni753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-18, 17:04   #18
fab66

fab66 is on a distinguished road

Croatia has not impressed but better as a team and game of Russia that is poor and only defense (For me favorita Croatia but it will have difficulty)
fab66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 06:14   #19
latortuga

latortuga is on a distinguished road

Did anyone see in the news a few months back how England in protest to that chemical attack on the Russian defector and daughter refused to send their delegation to the WC? Wouldn't it be funny if they were to meet in their next round. Some times I believe in coincidences like these occurring and if you see them they can payoff quite nicely. I'll probably throw a few coins on Russia vs England in the next round and I know this is horrible justification but for Russia to advance here.
latortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 10:25   #20
SeanPrice
Freshman

SeanPrice is on a distinguished road

Croatia players looked very tired in their game vs Denmark. Russians have (one of) the most kilometres run in the whole tournament.

Remember, Cherchesov's children will do 200% to advance.
SeanPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 12:42   #21
Cyrus

Denmark is a hard working team (ask France). This will be whole new game. Are you trying to say russians are using doping?? They have great history in that department. It wouldnt be surprise ih they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPrice View Post
Croatia players looked very tired in their game vs Denmark. Russians have (one of) the most kilometres run in the whole tournament.

Remember, Cherchesov's children will do 200% to advance.
Old 05-07-18, 19:34   #22
Mikele

Mikele is an unknown quantity at this point

It is correct team Russia is very well prepared physically. By average distance covered they are 4th team of the tournament (and best of all teams left at QF stage), by rapid transitions they are 11th and 2nd respectively. It has nothing to do with doping, as it would be suicidal (and dumb) to be using that given all recent IOC punishments. The reason for them being fit is pre-tournament preparations. The Russians looked poor in last two friendlies before the event, and the head coach said they will be ready to run when time comes. So it just shows the physios did their job well this time.

I disagree with the estimation above about chances 80-20 in favor of Croatia. It was like that vs Spain (on paper, had we known Hierro's starting 11 and tactics would have shifted to 60-40), and I rate Croatia lower than Lopetegui's Spain (sorry but we only had a chance to see this team in their first match). Provided it is a home support for Russia and huge burden passed, I rate this encounter as 53-47 or even 50-50. Hence I find value in the odds offered on Russia to qualify. 2.40 is nice value

Last edited by Mikele; 05-07-18 at 19:39.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 19:40   #23
Cyrus

Poor in the last two games? Try 2 years. Look at their results in last year. Hosts always shouldnt be underestimated. But form comparison, player by player comparison..everything is on Croatia side. We are rightfully favourites. But Russia will have their chances too.
Old 05-07-18, 21:35   #24
Dorm

Dorm is an unknown quantity at this point

In Russia team only one player from foreign league - Cheryshev. Everybody else play in Russia Premier league (i think as strong as Austrian or Belgium league). In Croatia team big stars like Modric, Manjukic etc. They many times better. Of course, you can belive in miracles. But every fairy tale has its end. Only one possibility - game will be fixed. I don't believe in such possibility.
Dorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 00:10   #25
Karl-Heinz

Karl-Heinz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorm View Post
In Russia team only one player from foreign league - Cheryshev. Everybody else play in Russia Premier league (i think as strong as Austrian or Belgium league). In Croatia team big stars like Modric, Manjukic etc. They many times better. Of course, you can belive in miracles. But every fairy tale has its end. Only one possibility - game will be fixed. I don't believe in such possibility.
No one here needs these kind of posts. Everybody knows that Croatian players are better individually.
Spanish players are 3x better than Russians. Who won?
Germany vs South Korea? Who won?

Its not only about quality.
Come back with with real reasoning.
Karl-Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 08:20   #26
egomax

egomax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl-Heinz View Post
No one here needs these kind of posts. Everybody knows that Croatian players are better individually.

egomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 10:12   #27
Dorm

Dorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl-Heinz View Post

May be you will write your smart prediction? I would read it with pleasure.
Dorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 10:42   #28
Carovie

Carovie is on a distinguished road

Spain was the worst Spain in many years and it was the same, in the three matchs, Iran, Morocco and Russia. I don't know and I will not write which team is my favourite to qualify here, I only tell that you can't have into account for this match, the last match against Spain because Spain in this World Cup was a total disaster (the worst performance I remember from my selection in long time), the players were horrible, the situation with the coach two days before the start cof the competition... and in spite of this, Russia only had one chance in the match, the gift from Piqué with the penalty
Carovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 11:45   #29
WiserthantheCrowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorm View Post
May be you will write your smart prediction? I would read it with pleasure.
We already know that the individual quality of the Croats is better. But you also underestimated the Russian league. According to ClubELO, it's better than the Belgian and Austrian leagues and even the Portuguese league. In fact, it's close to the French league. Russian teams have also not performed poorly in international competitions... The players being based in the domestic league could be an advantage. They know each other and they're a cohesive, well-organized and well-drilled bunch - just like the "collectives" of old in the Soviet Union. Besides these Russian players get plenty international experience every year through the CL and EL. So there is no real need to bring on players that are based abroad. What would the benefit be?

I think the home advantage (which is a huge factor) should cancel out the better individual quality of the Croats. Croatia did not convince in qualifying and struggled against Denmark... Croatia beat Argentina but we know that Argentina got their tactics and formation wrong. So I would not read too much into that game either... Meanwhile Nigeria and Iceland were very easy opponents... I still think that Croatia is being overestimated here by some punters while Russia is being underestimated (and has been underestimated all along).

Russia are a real team whereas I'm not convinced that Croatia is more than a fairly random collection of some highly-paid and skilled individuals. Croatia have attacking flair but in qualifying their attack seemed disjointed. I think they may run up against a brick wall. I'm predicting a low-scoring match (unless we see an early "lucky" goal) that could well go into ET with Russia prevailing in the end.

Last edited by WiserthantheCrowd; 06-07-18 at 12:29.
Old 06-07-18, 13:04   #30
Macot
Super Moderator

Macot is on a distinguished road

You are all talking about Croatia`s performance during qualifications, I just say - forget about it. They were terrible managed and almost missed WC alltogether. After they appointed Dalic, things turned 189 degrees and they are now a serious unit.
When I am thinking about this match I just can not imagine Russia scoring more than one goal against Croatia and on the other side, can not imagina Croatia not scoring at all. So the only result Russia could achieve is 1-1, everything else points towards Croatia`s win.
My call is 2-1 at least!