This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > Rules and info > Suggestions

Suggestions Want to suggest something for the improval of this forum, or of Bettingadvice.com mainsite? Express yourself here!

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 09-01-08, 23:41   #61
George_Hanson
Super Moderator

George_Hanson is an unknown quantity at this point

BA is a tipping site, but the "heart" of the site are not main site predictions but forum. And I think that you should focus more on forum, Terje. Main page is easy, you cannot invent anything special. You can have super graphs, super stats, super options for tipsters, but it is less important than the results of tipsters and you won't get it even with super duper extra hiper main site.

Main site should be:

1) clean, without too many options which will stay unused
2) easy to navigate
3) easy to edit for tipsters and admins
4) fast

that's all for me.

I would focus on forum. I think that the whole new application should be written then, as I doubt that open source forums have such functions, but:

1) it would be great to implement virtual betting - I think that everyone should know how it works - you get some amount of virtual money, moderators put down the odds for specific competitions on regular basis and users can bet their virtual money there. It would also be a good indication of who could eventually join the main site. (but it shouldn't be decisive and only indicator)

2) games, competitions etc. with small prizes - that would bring a lot of new users and would be a good fun. We have POD and it's fine, but there should be much much more - "Wimbledon Tipping contest", "Serie A challenge", "Basketball league competition" etc.

3) The possibility to make a scheme for predictions for users. Right now everyone writes as he likes. It would be much nicer if people could set their own set of schemes and they would just press the one button before writing something and fill the blank fields "Date" "Time" "Odds" "Bookmaker" "Preview" would be enough.

4) The reputation of users, everyone could add a good or bed rep to other user. Or just like in amazon.com - "Was this preview useful for you?" Yes or no. And then people would see which user has most positive votes and who is the black sheep.

I took most of these things from the other forum, which I use and it is usually so much fun with it. I don't know if it is easy to make it, as I am no programmer, but my ideal forum looks just like this.
George_Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 09-01-08, 23:44   #62
George_Hanson
Super Moderator

Default Re: Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grefstad
Please only suggest function on mainsite BA. Suggestions for the forum is no big use, since the forum is third party software, and we can not do much about the forum (apart from installing new versions and eventual modifications).
I only now read this. And this SUCKS, Terje. Forum is the heart of this site in my opinion and main site is fine, but people prefer to exchange opinions than to read someone's views. I almost don't read main page at all, while I visit forum almost everyday.
Old 09-01-08, 23:50   #63
TEDDIE21

TEDDIE21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Hanson
Quote:
Please only suggest function on mainsite BA. Suggestions for the forum is no big use, since the forum is third party software, and we can not do much about the forum (apart from installing new versions and eventual modifications).
I only now read this. And this SUCKS, Terje. Forum is the heart of this site in my opinion and main site is fine, but people prefer to exchange opinions than to read someone's views. I almost don't read main page at all, while I visit forum almost everyday.
I think Terje was talking about the technical issues,has nothing to do with "what's more important".

At least that's what I understood.
Old 10-01-08, 00:26   #64
George_Hanson
Super Moderator

It doesn't matter in my opinion.

If there are forums which could implement these things I was talking about - it means that they can also be made here, at BA.

PhpBB is a simple forum, you can write and write and write and write and it is good for small sites and not for worldwide communities.

It works fine, it is fast and clean, but on the other side it can be boring sometimes. That's why I think forum should be given the second chance.
Old 12-01-08, 03:03   #65

realy!

when some new came here how on earth he know who is good?

any idea?
Old 12-01-08, 11:58   #66
grefstad
Administrator
Site admin

grefstad is on a distinguished road

Forum can ofcourse be tweaked and changed, and there will be implemented a new version (phpbb 3.0) when we change the mainsite in March/April.

BUT; for now I would like comments for the mainsite.

What kind of features would you like on mainsite?
I want comments both from tipsters and readers.

What kind of statistics, how should picks be presented, any suggestions by showing links to other websites you like (who has got good solutions), etc.

Programming is well underway, and we estimate betatesting in late MArc/early April.

THerefore, tips for improving website should arrive now
Old 12-01-08, 13:51   #67
Toples
Freshman

Toples is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 901
Hello, i think that one and only one necessary suggestion is :

*** Email and/or SMS notifications for readers, so that they can chose to get emails/SMS sent to them whenever a pick appears from their favourite tipster (although not the entire pick, after all, we want people to visit this site..)

More over, i would prefer program like mail-agent (small program which sent notification on screen when new letter come into mail box) which would inform about new picks. But even mail notification would be enough.
mail notifications are a must...
some tipsters post as close as 1 hour before kick off, so if u dont come in that hour, you miss'em....
Toples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 14:34   #68
Krtica

Krtica is an unknown quantity at this point

I mostly like this interface of mainsite.
It is well recogniseable for years in this form.
And would not like if it changes drasticaly.

But... Would really like to see>>>

1) RSS feeds of tipsters picks on the main site /mail notifications

2) The posibility to rate them from 1-10 (their picks before the game starts)

---
Not much to add, I am used to this kind of view of mainsite ...
Krtica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 17:17   #69
lkorso
Freshman

lkorso is an unknown quantity at this point

4 features i would like to see is
1.To be able to read all the previous previews.
2.The final score at each pick to be written when the game ends.
3.It would be nice if there is a statistic of what is the average of it's tipster.If a tipsters usually stakes 3/10 and then at a pick gives 8/10,it would be usefull to know that this is much more bigger stake,than it's usual.I know it'seasy to make the average stake by ourself,but i think it is quite easy to be calculated automatically.
4.Tipster statistics,based also on yield,not only on profit.
lkorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-08, 06:50   #70
soveprognoze

soveprognoze is on a distinguished road

Predict competition

BA chose several matches from deferent sports every day. Than member chose pick that is offered in drop list. Software calculates and presents rankings.
soveprognoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-08, 16:07   #71
kfcpro
Super Moderator

kfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexykfcpro is too sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soveprognoze
Predict competition

BA chose several matches from deferent sports every day. Than member chose pick that is offered in drop list. Software calculates and presents rankings.

It would be totally retarded.

it has to be a tool for users,and this one suggested by you is a tool for bookmakers. it would show obviously where public goes,and where might intend to bet etc....bad idea.

basing oin that bookmakers would be able to almost in 100% perfectly set odds and be sure that he wont loose money and that means trhat no chances for valuable bet

someone wants to do a reasearch on certain game can browse a forum.
no need to make from it something like that because it would lead to almost impossible to find a valuable bet later.

or also it can be useed by other people to mislead the rest etc.
kfcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-08, 16:55   #72
7b
Freshman

7b is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we should change something with forum. In my opinion, there are too many new topics. I think that one topic for one ice hockey league would be enough. And it would be easier for admins to take care of them.
And now we have new topic each day.

I think that on the main webpage we should see all tipsters profit and yield, but not only top 10. And one more thing. There should be an opportunity for people to put comments under picks. It is good, because sometimes other people know something more than tipsters and that will help for other people to decide wether to bet on this one or not.

That's my opinion. Thank you for listening.
7b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-08, 15:12   #73
Daywalker

Daywalker is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be interesting to read interviews with proffessional bettors because we all want to learn from the pros :P

Our forum members could make up some questions and best of them would be asked or smth like that.

Is it a reasonable idea at all?

just my 20 cents
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-08, 10:25   #74
erhan79

erhan79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi...

I think number of tips and number of active tipsters in each thread should be followed...

Why i said this? I applied to be Turkish Super League tipster twice but my applications refused. Reason is there are enough tipsters in that topic. However when i check the main site few tipsters available and some of them doesn't look active... ops:
Old 10-06-08, 00:34   #75
Daywalker

May I ask how far is this "new site"? Can we talk about some release date yet?
Old 10-06-08, 04:15   #76
Vita
Freshman

Vita is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhan79
Hi...

I think number of tips and number of active tipsters in each thread should be followed...

Why i said this? I applied to be Turkish Super League tipster twice but my applications refused. Reason is there are enough tipsters in that topic. However when i check the main site few tipsters available and some of them doesn't look active... ops:
They do even withdraw active tipsters and keep inactive activated from time to time,take my word for that.............................................. .....just take it easy,you will learn with time.............................................. ........
Vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 13:03   #77
Schucz

Schucz is an unknown quantity at this point

The ‘forum’, or ‘discussion board’, plays a major part on most successful websites providing a place for regular visitors to discuss topics the site covers. This creates a community and adds ‘stickiness’ to your site, making people come back time and time again. Looking at the many hundreds of thousands of websites with forums, you can see various systems that are employed to provide the discussion board features – posting, voting, private messaging, and categories etc which all play a part in the standard feature list for all big forum systems. I’ve always been an avid user of forums either for fixing problems at work or to read about my hobbies and most of the time the Administrator’s and Moderators where helpful and nice but it always seemed to me that the communities I frequented were restricted with rules to help save them money or they just didn’t have the funds to add that needed something that was missing.

I always like to do research on forum software even though I was very familiar with the many different types offered .

I'm sure you wanted to maximize the visitors experience with functionality. Well, overall, phpBB is an extremely good system that is very popular. It has all the features you would probably need for maintaining an active forum, but no standard extras that are not essential, but useful. The huge community in invaluable if you get stuck and the number of styles and modifications available will allow you to change the software to suit your site and requirements. Unlike vBulletin, up until now, I have been a devout follower of vBulletin because of the development team, the ease of use/features. I know phpBB looks good and has similar features to vBulletin but if you want these features now, then go ahead and purchase convert the forum to vbulletin. It is definitely the current number one forum software for the professional webmaster - it supports huge boards with features to match the requirements of any community and they allow you to view the source code to edit and develop for yourself.

The good points far outweigh the downsides, although they should be addressed - the admin interface and the organisation of the options within it. But, in my opinion as a site owner and PHP enthusiast, vBulletin is the choice for all serious website owners. You will not be disappointed.
Schucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 09:08   #78
DSK121

DSK121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would be great to seperate special topic for Olimpics 2008... :idea:
DSK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 09:24   #79
MvP

MvP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK121
Would be great to seperate special topic for Olimpics 2008... :idea:
You've got my voice.
Old 05-08-08, 18:11   #80
CG

CG is on a distinguished road

done
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 18:55   #81
maxwell69

maxwell69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how much do you charge for 468x60 banner ?

I think it will be really good to have separate advertising option for this forum, with different AD options and prices and a bit data about the visitors e.c.t.
I want to have an ad here for my website but I have got really confused...I know you got a section in the front-page of your website but it's for the whole website and it's without any prices.
I think it will be really good to have an AD option to choose from , upgrade and even change banners . it will be much better even for you. There are huge scripts which can do that...

Any way ... how much do you charge for 468x60 banner ?

Regards
Max
maxwell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-08, 19:28   #82
grefstad
Administrator
Site admin

Default Re: how much do you charge for 468x60 banner ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell69
I think it will be really good to have separate advertising option for this forum, with different AD options and prices and a bit data about the visitors e.c.t.
I want to have an ad here for my website but I have got really confused...I know you got a section in the front-page of your website but it's for the whole website and it's without any prices.
I think it will be really good to have an AD option to choose from , upgrade and even change banners . it will be much better even for you. There are huge scripts which can do that...

Any way ... how much do you charge for 468x60 banner ?

Regards
Max
Obviously, there is a reason for banner pricing not being available open for all. If so, all website wannabees would copy everything raw.

As for advertising options at BA; we only advertise bookmakers, and turn down all other websites who want to advertise.

Terje
Old 07-11-08, 19:39   #83
maxwell69

maxwell69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You grefstad!
I got your point and you are right . Thank you for your fast reolay.
maxwell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-08, 20:52   #84
Daywalker

Quote:

Programming is well underway, and we estimate betatesting in late MArc/early April.

THerefore, tips for improving website should arrive now
Did you mean march/early april on year 2009?

Tips for improving main page? Look at betshoot.com
Old 18-12-08, 20:55   #85
CG

I think 2010 could be a possibility judging by the unforseen delays caused by programmers and not by T/BA.
Old 18-12-08, 21:03   #86
CG

Hmm, i must admit that after looking at Betshoot, 1 thing that might possibly be worth thinking about is the Trial Tipster feature. BA gets numerous emails from unknown people wanting to tip certain leagues. Sometimes these people are unknown on BA and a certain amount of risk is taken by giving them a chance. Some flatter to deceive in either money-management, previews or results. Obviously the opposite could also be said, some probably dont get a chance and yet could meet all 3 of the above criteria and get missed.
Old 19-12-08, 20:38   #87
grefstad
Administrator
Site admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG
Hmm, i must admit that after looking at Betshoot, 1 thing that might possibly be worth thinking about is the Trial Tipster feature. BA gets numerous emails from unknown people wanting to tip certain leagues. Sometimes these people are unknown on BA and a certain amount of risk is taken by giving them a chance. Some flatter to deceive in either money-management, previews or results. Obviously the opposite could also be said, some probably dont get a chance and yet could meet all 3 of the above criteria and get missed.
Hmm..yes...Trial tipster is a good feature.
Admittingly, we take a risk in bringing unknown tipsters on the site.
I get probably 30-40 emails per week, at least, from people who want to be tipsters, and sometimes we unearth a gem, sometimes we're not so lucky/clever.

As for progress on BA; this has been very poor in recent months, but during Xmas, the programmer (and myself) have got some time, since we have vacations from our normal, stressful jobs.
Hoping to get a lot done during Xmas.
Old 20-12-08, 16:11   #88
Wilson
Super Moderator

Wilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG
maybe they don't want be tipsters for nothing any reason about that ? :idea: Why people want to be tipsters ?

for me only people who are every day in forum , who have many posts , many correct bet .... can be tipsters it's just suggestions maybe you don't think the same thing
Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-08, 17:11   #89
grefstad
Administrator
Site admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptos
maybe they don't want be tipsters for nothing any reason about that ? :idea: Why people want to be tipsters ?

for me only people who are every day in forum , who have many posts , many correct bet .... can be tipsters it's just suggestions maybe you don't think the same thing
Well...if you look hard and long at it, BA and unknown tipsters live in a happy symbiosis.
BA get good tipsters (if they are good, that is), and the tipster get a good name.

Yes, ofcourse a Macedonian student can become a tipsters on another website, and perhaps earn 10 EUR per month, but the traffic on most websites is much less than BA's (I dont know traffic numbers, but I think Betshoot got good traffic though).

So, for new, unkown tipsters, BA is a good place to start, to get a name, but also at BA we need a certain minimum level of quality.

We normally use the forum as a "separator", and we often look at what potential tipsters have done in our forum before giving them a chance.
Sometimes we bring in tipsters based on history on other websites, or just an oldfashined "gut-feeling".

However, paying for picks has never been BA policy.
I have always said that paying for picks is unescessary.

Unknown tipsters who approach BA with a desire to be tipster often want to help other people because they understand the point of this community.

If everyone said " I want to predict, but only if I'm paid for it", you would never have seen a place like BA grow to the size this website has got now.

Yes, we also pay tipsters from time to time, when we can afford it. However, payments are irregular, and never meant to be the main reason for tipsters to stay at BA.
If we feel people are approaching us without the right focus, they are not taken on as tipsters.
Simple as that.
Old 20-12-08, 18:32   #90
Wilson
Super Moderator

Wilson is on a distinguished road

But it's a long time who i not see new tipsters

BA limited tipsters ?
Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote