This site is for adults 18+ due to gambling/betting content. If you have a problem with gambling issues, or need information, please visit:
Gambling Help Online Gamblers Anonymous Gambling Therapy Gamble Aware Jugadores Anonimos JugarBIEN BeGambleAware GamCare

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > Rules and info > Suggestions

Suggestions Want to suggest something for the improval of this forum, or of Bettingadvice.com mainsite? Express yourself here!

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 03-10-06, 09:07   #1
grefstad
Administrator
Site admin

grefstad is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for functions on new BA site

I have finally got the funds to create a new BA site, programmed from scratch.

So, I need suggestions to how this site should be.
I want suggestiosn on functionality. The design is always a matter of taste, so we dont discuss design here. Only functionality.

What functions should be available to readers?

Please dont make discussions about it here, only come with the suggestions (this is brainstorming). We have to do it like this for the readability of this thread.
--------------------------------

Initial suggestions:

*** Tipsters allocated to leagues/sports, so that a tipster can not predict everything he wants, just what he has access to.

*** Tipster can bet on all leagues he has access to with one login (drop down menu choses the leage he want to make a prediction to)

*** Junior admins will have access to update predictions, add news, etc, so the updating of the site is not dependant on me being present.

*** Creating of columnists/blogs/article writers (these should not make predictions, just write stories, blogs, etc

*** Email and/or SMS notifications for readers, so that they can chose to get emails/SMS sent to them whenever a pick appears from their favourite tipster (although not the entire pick, after all, we want people to visit this site..)

*** Grading of tipsters by readers, so that readers can put their marks on a tipster (this is a bit rough though, as it can be a lot of non-serious stuff coming through)

*** Eventual creation of a member section with specially invited tipsters (the best on the site). Will be a paid section, if it materializes. The income will be used to pay off these tipsters. This is also highly debatable, as BA has always been a free-to-use site.

*** Creation of a WAP portal, so BA is accessible via WAP.

*** Incluison of different mainsite stuff in the forum (like Latest Picks listings, etc), so it is easier to see when something new has arrived

*** Latest Picks listings must easier show the last incoming picks, maybe a log-system readable by readers, or something.

*** Better statistics for the tipsters, including graphs, and more indepth stats.

More suggestions welcome.

Please make it in SUGGESTION FORMAT only, not discuss other peoples suggestions.

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 03-10-06, 10:22   #2
varganya

varganya is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe integrate a spell-check on the site.

As many users as here, from so many places, can confuse each other...
Old 03-10-06, 11:06   #3
grefstad
Administrator
Site admin

grefstad is on a distinguished road

Confirmation before adding a prediction, so that tipsters dont add picks with wrong dates, etc.

Some tipsters will be allowed to edit their predictions, based on settings in the admin panel, so that they can add info, change stuff, etc. Some things can be changed, some can't (like odds and stake).
Old 03-10-06, 11:18   #4
Jumbo

Jumbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Picks to be sortable by: time posted, tipsters, stakes, odds...
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 17:01   #5
zenica

zenica is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not familiar with fact do you have server or just hosting account but maybe I can help regarding databases.As I can see you have only one (or am I wrong?) DB for site and forum.Maybe nota bad idea would be to backup phpbb tables and install forum on new DB then importing that tables
zenica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 17:12   #6
zois
Freshman

zois is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , to everybody here in B.A.
If it's possible to have results of mutual matches for the different leagues for next matches.
I know there are a lot of leagues , but if it's possible for as many as you can. :lol:
zois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 19:06   #7
spawnie

spawnie is an unknown quantity at this point

a live chat area would be nice i guess! This way it will be easy for us to find a tipsters picks or analize messages in the forum! This way everybody is using livescore thread and %80 of everyones message is livescore related! and i've seen on non-related site. They were sharing their ad-incomes with the writer due to the response %! You may use this kind of payment method! It would be motivating for the tipsters, and users may have an area to make brain storming about tipsters choice, and the tipster will gain, users will gain and you will gain
spawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 20:25   #8
Goldeneye_hd

Goldeneye_hd is an unknown quantity at this point

I think more competitions should be organized.
On the forum the members should be verify if they post any informations from their leagues not only read them.
More articles on ba main page should appear.
You should hire soccer writers for all leagues so that they can write about their country football.
I think articles from those who won big ammounts of money should be posted on the main page.
A new wave of tipsters should come, the users who wants to become a tipster, its hard for them if they are new on the forum.
Patriotic previews with picks should be deleted and alerted users.
That's all folks.
Goldeneye_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 20:44   #9
Amanthino

Amanthino is an unknown quantity at this point

My opinion:

League to be predicted by natives, with the best access to the latest news and surroundings etc ...

Anyway will prob get a lot of backfiring here, but doesn't matter, think that's the best way to reschedule the tipping down here (ofcourse in many leagues this is already the case but still ...)

And maybe in the tipping area little spaces to put injuries, suspensions and match ratings or smth ...
Amanthino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-06, 23:20   #10
Iceman_007

Iceman_007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Forbid <1,5 picks
Iceman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 05:01   #11
_Tecumseh_
Freshman

_Tecumseh_ is an unknown quantity at this point

-Definitely tipster/user classes, as said, so that f.e. admin has access to everything, junior admins to some sections, tipsters to their own leagues, article writers to that section etc. This should be solved by a value in the table, either by numbers (easier to check and evaluate) or titles (more readable) and thought up carefully so that the ranks follow the hierarchy.

-Add a menu on the left side of the forum layout, on which there would be some links and where it would be visible when new picks are posted on the mainsite. There should also be links to forum rules, search, new topics, my topics and such and news. Perhaps even some bookies or livescore sites, so one can quickly check odds when he reads something on the forum or to see scores. The links on top should stay on top.

-RSS feed for the picks

-Live chat and such should not be implemented, for chatting there is IRC. (Btw: does BA have IRC channel?) Livescore subforum existence is also questionable, it is a big strain on the server and people spam so much, that it is difficult to notice results. I know that for some leagues there's no livescore page, though Soccerstand and Livescore.com cover much of them, and there are other sports than football, so it is useful to get info, but perhaps it should be forbidden to post results from bigger leagues...

-On picks page, more info would be welcome... results of the matches, tipster's account in units at that time, perhaps last 10 picks in won-lost format (all this added to the table "Previous picks"). Perhaps this should open on new page.

-No altering of picks. Too much abuse (and quarrel) prone IMHO.
_Tecumseh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-06, 23:02   #12
juliano
banned

juliano is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO very useful will be table with Top 10 tipsters with the best yield.
juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 04:22   #13
Xponat

Xponat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanthino
League to be predicted by natives, with the best access to the latest news and surroundings etc ...
I think we had a lot of examples proving that a tipster doesn't have to be a native in order to be successful...

Quote:
Anyway will prob get a lot of backfiring here, but doesn't matter
What do you mean - it doesn't matter, an idea can't be accepted without support :P
Old 06-10-06, 14:43   #14
Satyr

Satyr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xponat
Quote:
I think we had a lot of examples proving that a tipster doesn't have to be a native in order to be successful...
definitely. Especially some bigger leagues/sports which we can all watch regardlessly of our location (US sports mainly, but also Premiership, Serie A, Champions League, etc).

Plus there are many examples where non native tipsters do extraordinary well in some lower leagues or not so popular sports.
Satyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 10:10   #15
mantis

mantis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My opinion:

completely agree.

I also suggest that tipsters should be over 25 years old, so that they have "life experience", working to earn their living and respect money and betting stakes.
mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 10:43   #16
Amanthino

Amanthino is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis
Quote:
My opinion:

completely agree.

I also suggest that tipsters should be over 25 years old, so that they have "life experience", working to earn their living and respect money and betting stakes.
Well yeah indeed, I mean, if ur living in the country of the league you're tipping about, one can easily get access to all sorts a interviews in newspapers, pre game interviews (ofcourse there are plenty on the web too ...) ... and I think a native tipster gets more in touch with the teams ...

About being 25 years old, I know it's only a statement ... but I'm only 22, I got some experience in tipping, and while I'm not working, I know how to handle money (at the time being I'm losing too much to my liking but that's not a prob) ... Characters differ ...
Amanthino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 15:39   #17
Karra

Karra is an unknown quantity at this point

And the tipsters shouldn't be over 40, because it's proven the brains starts to deteriorating at that age. It rules out my chances in becoming a tipster. :roll:
Old 07-10-06, 18:32   #18
khurdt
Freshman

khurdt is an unknown quantity at this point

The tipsters overall scores seem to have been the same ones on continuation for yonks. Perhaps a total accumulative score with a separate current season score to more accurately reflect how well the tipster is doing season to season.
khurdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 19:51   #19
MisterIcs

MisterIcs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Suggestion for BA

I would like to propose following suggestions:

1. Insert a section for predictions for horses race ( e.g. Tris in Italy) with comments, statistic, analysis.
2. Inserts a section for Basket predictions ( also for Italian Leagues A1-A2)

3. Insert a section to celebrate the best tipsters of the months for the several leagues.

Hi to all!
MisterIcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-06, 23:19   #20
Silvio

Silvio is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible to have "archive" version of threads. I cannot explain it but with example from another forum

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=87597

http://www.menstennisforums.com/arch...p/t-87597.html

In second version, one can easier read long threads. Sometimes when I see lot of subpages already written in thread, I simply have no time to read it all. But in compact version, it's much faster.
Old 07-10-06, 23:31   #21
Silvio

Silvio is an unknown quantity at this point

Another suggestion for faster reading of threads. Is it possible to have "ignore list" ? If one member is not interested in reading some other forum member posts, he just puts that member on his individual ignore list , then when any thread is displayed, posts by members from ignore list are skipped. Example: if member "Silvio" puts on his ignore list member "delfino" , then member "Silvio" does not see any posts of member "delfino" while other members see posts by member "delfino". Unless they have member "delfino" in their respective ignore lists of course.
Old 10-10-06, 00:30   #22
guillermo
Freshman

guillermo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio
Another suggestion for faster reading of threads. Is it possible to have "ignore list" ? If one member is not interested in reading some other forum member posts, he just puts that member on his individual ignore list , then when any thread is displayed, posts by members from ignore list are skipped. Example: if member "Silvio" puts on his ignore list member "delfino" , then member "Silvio" does not see any posts of member "delfino" while other members see posts by member "delfino". Unless they have member "delfino" in their respective ignore lists of course.
Agree. There's a weblog system called Slash (maybe slashdot tels something to someone) what might be good a solution. It runs on mod_perl, but that's only a good thing in my mind.
guillermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-06, 23:40   #23
cele

cele is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzax
cele, if you dont have anything sensible to say, pls dont post at all :!: This is a serious thread so spare me your nonsesnse.
OK, the I suggest you make a shoubox livescore instead of livescore thread!

And female moderators, some of these guys are real pain in the ass
cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-06, 23:54   #24
CG

CG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzax
cele, if you dont have anything sensible to say, pls dont post at all :!: This is a serious thread so spare me your nonsesnse.
OK, the I suggest you make a shoubox livescore instead of livescore thread!

And female moderators, some of these guys are real pain in the ass
We already have female moderators.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-06, 09:43   #25
lOZ

lOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Option of vviewing more than just 10 latest threads
Allow the use the option of viewing the last 40-50 or hoever many threads instead of just the last 10.

This is because quite often when a lot of new threads are being posted, a lot of interesting threads pass by very quickly and don't come to attention.

You should of course only keep 10 latest threads viewable on the main page, but allow the user to select "see last 30" "last 40" etc threads.

Improve the Search Engine

Sometimes I want to go back and find an interesting or useful post but the search engine is not that flexible. You have to have the exact key words. A fuzzy search or something like that would be nice if possible.

Allow Users to view ARchive or historical record of Tipsters beyond just hte last 10 picks
lOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-06, 10:33   #26
CG

CG is on a distinguished road

You can already view a tipsters record beyond the last 10 picks by clicking on 'all predictions' which is below the last 15 picks.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-06, 11:15   #27
lOZ

lOZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG
You can already view a tipsters record beyond the last 10 picks by clicking on 'all predictions' which is below the last 15 picks.
ok , I missed that. cheers
lOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-06, 23:29   #28
cartwright

cartwright is an unknown quantity at this point

What about "high stakes picks" section?
On the main site, you can open a section where will be the picks from all sports and legaues, but only the ones that are staked with 10 or 9.

So, these picks will be in the section they usually belong, and also in the "high stakes" section.

I'm telling that cause lot of readers are following only high staked picks, and this way, it will be easer for them to find it.
cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-06, 12:08   #29
RAPID

RAPID is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartwright
What about "high stakes picks" section?
On the main site, you can open a section where will be the picks from all sports and legaues, but only the ones that are staked with 10 or 9.

So, these picks will be in the section they usually belong, and also in the "high stakes" section.

I'm telling that cause lot of readers are following only high staked picks, and this way, it will be easer for them to find it.
very good suggestion, the "high stakes" section will be usefull for many users who are following only this picks
RAPID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 08:53   #30
axi

axi is an unknown quantity at this point

---
axi is offline   Reply With Quote