BWIN Pinnacle 888sport Bet365 10BET Gamebookers Betfair BET-AT-HOME Expekt 5Dimes CANBET

Go Back   Bettingadvice forum > Soccer >
UEFA Europa League

UEFA Europa League
Picks and analysis and discussions for UEFA Europa League games.

Bet on European football at:
BET365
100% bonus for new clients, superb odds and great live betting !!

Online Sports Betting at Pinnacle Sports
BET365: Simply the best bookie for livebetting! PINNACLE: BA's all time favourite bookmaker. Great odds!

Old 15-02-17, 14:07   #1
MarianoV6

MarianoV6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Round of 32: PAOK v Schalke 16/02/2017

3.60 3.30 2.25

Last edited by MarianoV6; 16-02-17 at 01:44.
MarianoV6 is offline   Reply With Quote

PINNACLE SPORTS: One of the very best. New website!

Old 15-02-17, 14:26   #2
MarianoV6

Default The referee

Let's start with him first as there is enough time to write about the teams and everything around them.

Referee is Javier Estrada Fernandez is gonna whistle for the third time in PAOK's game and only for the first time for Schalke. The previous games for PAOK were the away game for group stage against Qabala at 2015 which ended 0-0 with 2-2 yellow cards and the away game against Ajax this season for the champions league 3rd round qualifiers which ended 1-1 with 1-2 yellow cards. This third game will be the first home game actually for PAOK.

I don't remember much of him from the game against Qabala but i do remember him from the game against Ajax since it was more recent. He was fair and didn't put Ajax's name above PAOK because of history.

Here are his stats where we see that he is an over 3.5 yellow cards and that he has a good number on penalties as well

http://worldreferee.com/site/copy.ph...textType=stats

Talking about yellow cards, PAOK has a headache to face which makes this referee with that yellow cards and penalty records more interesting. The headache has to do with the back line of regulars where all of them are at the limit to be suspended for the reverse leg. Right back Matos, left back Leovac, and the two central defenders Crespo and Varela are on the line and their replacements are not close enough at their level for the coach to depend on them for the reverse leg in case this game go wrong. Who is more vulnerable of them to get a yellow card? Leovac i would say. Who is more important from all of them tho? Matos first and Crespo second. That if you are looking to pick a specific player to get booked.

This "danger" however for PAOK might also affect their gaming style from more aggressive to more simple marking approach. This is something to talk about at the next post.

P.S.: I'm a little busy at the moment to search who from Schalke is also on the line, so if someone can help, i'll be appreciated .

Last edited by MarianoV6; 15-02-17 at 14:28.
Old 15-02-17, 15:23   #3
MarianoV6

Regarding what i said at the end about the headache, Leovac was asked at the press conference about it and he said:

"It is a fact that we have yellow cards but everyone from us should not try and think about it. Play 100%, give everything you have and yeah, if you have to make a foul, it's something that you will do it, you don't think about the next game. Tomorrow we will play like this".
Old 15-02-17, 15:43   #4
LaGloriosa
Freshman

LaGloriosa is on a distinguished road

Indeed Leovac is prone to getting cards, especially in crucial matches. But Schalke plays with no wingers, they use 3-5-2 and this is a minus to this bet.
LaGloriosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-17, 15:53   #5
MarianoV6

That's true LaGloriosa and of course that is not a bet that someone must take before seeing line ups and formations. I will keep one thing in mind what coach Ivic said "We know that they are playing a specific formation at the last games but i wont be surprised also if they change formation just for tomorrow".

The second thing to have in mind is that maybe PAOK will also play 3-5-2. Not a big possibility but it has chances in order to stop Schalke (both adding players in the middle to win the battle there). All that are just speculations at the moment, tomorrow we will know more
Old 15-02-17, 16:25   #6
LaGloriosa
Freshman

LaGloriosa is on a distinguished road

I expect similar approach from PAOK with the home game against Fiorentina (0-0), to be cautious in defence and take no risks in attack. Ivic (coach) is smart and gives a lot of attention in keeping the clean sheet, he also knows that PAOK against big teams away takes good results, with favorite score 1-1.

The absence of Canias (DM) is a big blow, the presence of Athanasiadis in attack is a huge minus as his psychology is below zero and cant score even if the goalpost was 15 meters.

I read that Schalke may rotate, i dont know why.

I will put some coins in 0-0 score.
LaGloriosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-17, 00:23   #7
betcatalog

betcatalog is on a distinguished road

PAOK total the group has 4 to 6 under 2,5 and so no goal, Schalke had three goals just passive and 5 to 6 under 2,5 and so in no goal. I expect tough game with a few steps in front of the two homes and go to the few goals
PAOK THESSALONIKI vs FC SCHALKE @@ +2.50 Under, odds 1.70
--
stoiximatikes etairies
betcatalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-17, 14:28   #8
MarianoV6

Default PAOK vs Schalke, similarities and other stuff

Well, on one hand, both teams have many similarities.

-They both play in front of their very fanatic fans and they are both playing under pressure from them.
- They both are being affected by their fans regarding the mood around and inside the team. When bad result(s) will come, fans are complaining which affect their performance. When both are winning, the support they get from their fans is just awesome.
-They both started a new project this summer (ok, PAOK started at the last month of last season) with new coach and new Director of Football (if i'm not mistaken for Schalke).
- They both signed many players this season, so both needed time to build a "team". PAOK has a small advance on this because Schalke had many injuries to deal with while PAOK had no such problem.
- Schalke missed one important attacking regular but a bit late at summer which changed their plans a bit while PAOK missed one important attacking regular this winter. Here, Schalke has an advance as they had more time ahead to replace him and build their team with him in it. Henrique came in mid January for PAOK.
- They both started badly this season and find them both sitting under the middle of the table. PAOK was 9th at December in total of 16 teams, Schalke was 13th or 14th i think in total of 18 teams.
- They both seems to have their form after that time and are coming from good results. PAOK manage to reach 2nd place while Schalke still sitting at the 11th place but they are coming from an away draw against Bayern, a good win for the cup (and qualification) with 1-4 against Sandhausen, and their last game was a 2-0 win at home against Herta.
- Finally, they both have a big budget for this season, which means they are aiming as high as possible in any competition.
Old 16-02-17, 15:13   #9
MarianoV6

Default How they will play, players to watch and missing players

Schalke first (as a quest and cause i wont write much here )

As mentioned above, Schalke is still dealing with some injuries and they also had a last minute problem with Bentaleb not following the squad because of an stomach infection. Beside the injuries, if i understand correctly, their coach might make a small rotation as the important away game vs Koln is coming this weekend. This is just speculation from what i read, but Badstuber, Stambouli and Burgstaller might not start.

As said above, Schalke is playing with a 3-5-2 lately but Ivic (PAOK) said that he wont be surprised if they change formation for this game. When Weinzierl was asked about this comment from Ivic he said "We have many players, i am trying different formations but all are adopted to our opponents. We are talking about special games here (since qualification is in two round i guess he means), i'm sure that my players will be focused, i'm expecting our fans to help us a bit more". And again, that's pre-game speculations and one hour before kick we will learn how they will actually play.

PAOK

PAOK is having a problem at the moment with the striker as Athanasiadis is in bad form the whole season. Very characteristic is that, when usually he has 15 goals per season (average) in the domestic league, in 16 games so far he has not a single goal (). He has however 2 goals in europa league and one in champions league this summer against Ajax. I will come back for Athanasiadis at the end btw to explain something. The striker who was signed to replace him (or force him to find himself), Prijovic, cannot play in europa league because he played at the previous round with another club. The other two signings this winter are in the squad but only one will play, Henrique. The second one, Warda, was at cup of Africa the previous days with Egypt where they reach the final,, so obviously he is not ready to start. From the rest of the players Pelkas is out, Kace is not in the european list and important midfield Caņas. The last one by far is the most important missing.

I believe the only question for coach Ivic is if he will play with two "6" or with a "10". That's basically the two changes he is doing depending on the opponent. When opponent is weaker or PAOK is playing at home, Bisewar is starting as "10". When the opponent is stronger (and depending their formation, Bisewar is sitting on the bench and Shakhov is taking his place together with Cimirot and Caņas (Charisis now since Caņas is injured) in the midfield line. Other than that, 4 at the back with Matos, Varela, Crespo, Leovac, 2 on the wings with Campos and Henrique and one striker which in this case it will be Athanasiadis no matter his form.

Athanasiadis

He was once the captain of the team (in the eyes of the fans cause in reality he still is), the leather one-touch scorer, the striker to whom the team could be based on having goals as he had 20 goals per season, but he is nowhere near to what he used to be. The whole season he has hear many "things" from the fans, in forums, at the stadium, when he is going out for coffee, basically anywhere. Coach Ivic whenever he is being asked about him, he always support him and he always is saying that "he will come back, he just need the first boost".

I strongly disagree with Ivic to start him at this game because i believe he needs to be "reborn" at first. He needs to sit on the bench at this game to see a full packed stadium cheering, to see his teammates fighting and get the huge support from the fans, he needs to get jealous of all that first in order to find his motive and play again at his level (whatever that is, it doesn't matter). He is getting lately (the last 3-4 days actually) the support of the fans for this game with encouraging message everywhere in order to boost him and find himself, PAOK is also officially support him with videos and stuff, veterans do the same, but my humble opinion is that the whole thing will just add to him more pressure. It's this game or never again, something like that. So it's either Athanasiadis will handle all this situation and score today giving the victory to his team or he will basically collapse and maybe not recover again since Prijovic is taking his place in the team.

Today Athanasiadis did something from his side to acknowledge the whole situation and his bad form. He had a meeting with the owner and told him to keep the 75k he was going to have as a recognition of his bad form this season. Owner was happy with this and congratulate him. This is one of the things fans was asking him to do (ok, in a more bad way like "you don't deserve what they pay you, give the money back you fraud" ) so i guess this will calm a bit his relationship with the fans at this game and force them to support him more.

That's all, GL!
Old 16-02-17, 15:26   #10
MarianoV6

Yes, forgot again to write something.

- Athmosphere will be a bit more hot from the fans and this is because there is some kind of rivalry between Schalke fans and PAOK fans. Schalke fans are brothers with Vardar Sopje fans and they are using the usual political statements which of course Greeks find as an insult. Here in Thessaloniki, police is arresting fans from Vardar who have travel with Schalke fans in order to avoid any fights in the city or riots inside the stadium because of such provocation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs6m5HY0DBo an attack that happened this morning and last night there were more

- Schalke and PAOK met again at 2013 and this political issue was one of the main topic back then. Those games were for group stage qualifier of champions league where Schalke manage to pass with one goal more than PAOK. The results of those game were
PAOK v Schalke 2-3
Schalke v PAOK 1-1

Last edited by MarianoV6; 16-02-17 at 15:29.
Old 16-02-17, 16:39   #11
BCBS
Freshman

BCBS is an unknown quantity at this point

Great work Mariano!
BCBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-17, 19:08   #12
MarianoV6

PAOK is changing to 3-5-2 for this game (the pic says Matos right and Matos left but of course it's Leovac left)

Old 16-02-17, 19:09   #13
MarianoV6

no surprises for Schalke
Old 16-02-17, 19:21   #14
MarianoV6

I've decided about my bet

Time of first team goal
PAOK before 72' @.183

This bet has nothing to do with final outcome, Schalke might win 1-5, the bet matters only
Old 16-02-17, 20:04   #15
bangelov

bangelov is on a distinguished road

Great work, Mariano. My pick on that game went on BTS. Good luck!
bangelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-17, 13:13   #16
MarianoV6

Schalke was just perfect yesterday, they took control after the 20' min and did whatever they wanted. PAOK helped a lot at this since the performance was extremely bad from the whole team. At first, although coach Ivic decided to play with 3-5-2 to add pressure in the middle, steal the ball and go for counter attack, but absolutely no one was running to press. When it was obvious that the 3-5-2 with no wingers in was not working, the coach did nothing at all to change that. Very pathetic performance from PAOK while they were exactly the opposite at their last games with a lot of running and passion. No idea why.

Everything went wrong yesterday but it didn't stopped there. I wrote at the start about the back line being in danger since all 4 were one yellow card away from missing the second leg. Leovac, Matos and Varela got yellow card and they all will be missing from the reverse leg No need to say that it is totally up to Schalke if they want to crash PAOK at the reverse leg or not. Bench player Kitsiou will take the place of Matos and he is not that good. Bench player Malezas will take the place of Varela but he is slower. Youngster Deligiannidis will take the place of Leovac if the coach will go with 4 in the back, he is 20 years old and with no experience at this level.

I wrote at the livescore thread that Ivic will go to surprise Schalke with an attempt for early goal and PAOK had a post in the first 10 minutes. One more good chance little earlier with Leovac but didn't manage to control the ball inside the box, although he was almost alone, and that was it. With Schalke taking control of the game after the 20th min and PAOK being nowhere, the bet was lost. Sorry if anyone followed but i was hoping for that early goal to win this bet.
Old 17-02-17, 13:58   #17
ursulla

ursulla is on a distinguished road

no matter losted,anyway,mate, great great work ,really enjoyed while reading.
ursulla is offline   Reply With Quote