PDA

View Full Version : England Coca Cola League Championship (8-9 August 2006)

LuckyMan
06-08-06, 01:31
Odds From BWin

Tuesday, August 08, 2006
8:45 PM Cardiff City - West Bromwich 2.45 3.15 2.60
8:45 PM Colchester United- Plymouth Argyle 2.35 3.15 2.70
8:45 PM Hull FC - Barnsley 1.90 3.20 3.70
8:45 PM Leicester City - Burnley 1.75 3.30 4.25
8:45 PM Norwich City - Preston North End 1.80 3.30 4.00
8:45 PM Sheffield Wednesday - Luton Town 2.20 3.15 2.95
8:45 PM Stoke City - Derby County 2.20 3.15 2.95
8:45 PM Wolverhampton Wanderers - Ipswich Town 1.90 3.20 3.70
9:00 PM Crystal Palace - Southend United 1.60 3.50 5.00
9:00 PM Queens Park Rangers - Leeds United 2.95 3.15 2.20

Wednesday, August 09, 2006
8:45 PM Southampton FC - Coventry City 1.95 3.20 3.55
8:45 PM Sunderland - Birmingham City 2.20 3.15 2.95

tennispicks
06-08-06, 02:52
Odds From BWin

Tuesday, August 08, 2006
8:45 PM Cardiff City - West Bromwich 2.45 3.15 2.60
8:45 PM Colchester United- Plymouth Argyle 2.35 3.15 2.70
8:45 PM Hull FC - Barnsley 1.90 3.20 3.70
8:45 PM Leicester City - Burnley 1.75 3.30 4.25
8:45 PM Norwich City - Preston North End 1.80 3.30 4.00
8:45 PM Sheffield Wednesday - Luton Town 2.20 3.15 2.95
8:45 PM Stoke City - Derby County 2.20 3.15 2.95
8:45 PM Wolverhampton Wanderers - Ipswich Town 1.90 3.20 3.70
9:00 PM Crystal Palace - Southend United 1.60 3.50 5.00
9:00 PM Queens Park Rangers - Leeds United 2.95 3.15 2.20

Wednesday, August 09, 2006
8:45 PM Southampton FC - Coventry City 1.95 3.20 3.55
8:45 PM Sunderland - Birmingham City 2.20 3.15 2.95

i remember last 2 seasons when sunderland was in division 1 and their home is unbeatable and with such a odds available on sunderland, I will be taking sunderland trusting their unbeaten run will continue in division 1. Taking asian level handicap is definately a good bet in this one :)

ShrimpEr
06-08-06, 22:05
Well let's have an early look.

http://images.skysports.com/images/badges/100x100/99.gifColchester United - Plymouth Argyle:http://images.skysports.com/images/badges/100x100/76.gif

Everyone expects the U's to be the Championship's seasonal punch bag / clear cut relegation battlers. That is not surprising considering they have lost manager Phil Parkinson, the man who got them promoted, hired an inexperienced manager and have been very inactive in the transfer market (Only two transfer-ins were midfielder Johnnie Jackson and striker Jamie Cureton), keeping a League-One-rated squad.
And yet despite their 2-1 defeat to Birmingham this saturday, I was very impressed by Colchester's determination, even without their ex-star playmaker Neil Danns. At times they were even better than the quality-superior and promotion favorites Blues and really did not seem to be as weak as they supposedly are. I believe that if such performance can be repeated at home (best home record last year with 15/23 wins), against a weaker team, having settled a bit in the league, Colchester are bound not to lose. All they need is time.

And that weaker opponet just happens to be Plymouth. Argyle are clearly not the best team this league has to offer, and looked rather pale and unconvincing in Saturday's 1-1 draw against an injury-ridden Wolves side. New manager Ian Holloway said he was very proud of his men; that only demonstrates Plymouth's modest seasonal expectations.
It can be said that a fully fit squad featuring Bojan Djordjic and Akos Buzsaky is better than what Colchester has to offer. However, with Barry Hayles and Chadwick up front, I predict that last year's serious scoring trouble (failed to score in 21 league games) will continue, especially as Argyle has failed to improve their attack significantly over the summer. It should also be noted that the Pilgrims have managed to win just 3 games away from Home Park last season.

To sum up, I think the match against Plymouth would be a good opportunity for Colchester to settle in. It may be too soon for them to win, but there is no reason for them to lose as the bookies believe.

Pick #1: X @ 3.25 :arrow: BET365 [4/10]
Pick #2: Under 2.5 @ 1.75 :arrow: BETSAFE [7/10]

CG
06-08-06, 22:08
Those quoted prices are poor. Ive already taken Norwich @ 2.25 against Preston as Earnshaw missed a bagful against Leeds and the price is too good to miss imo.

No Guru
06-08-06, 22:46
Those quoted prices are poor. Ive already taken Norwich @ 2.25 against Preston as Earnshaw missed a bagful against Leeds and the price is too good to miss imo.

"With the exception of a 15-minute patch during the second half, the Canaries completely dominated this match, creating more scoring chances than they are likely to get in their next two or three away games. Crucially, they failed to take any of them, Robert Earnshaw their chief culprit with seven misses. In his mitigation, two did hit the woodwork. Leeds took the points but they can count themselves highly fortunate; on another day they could have lost 5-1."

"Man of the match

Robert Earnshaw

His job is to score goals and in that he failed, however the woodwork and good goalkeeping were largely to blame. Caused problems throughout for the Leeds defence with his control and off -the-ball running and will surely finish the season on double figures."

Janger
07-08-06, 07:28
I'm not a expert for this league,but ..abouth Norwich game,what I read they are so unlucky in first,I and there best player miss so many chance.
Robert Earnshaw will be full motivate for next game,also Norwich was good in preseasson matchs and I expect win (2-0,3-0). :wink:

grefstad
07-08-06, 13:25

"With the exception of a 15-minute patch during the second half, the Canaries completely dominated this match, creating more scoring chances than they are likely to get in their next two or three away games. Crucially, they failed to take any of them, Robert Earnshaw their chief culprit with seven misses. In his mitigation, two did hit the woodwork. Leeds took the points but they can count themselves highly fortunate; on another day they could have lost 5-1."

"Man of the match

Robert Earnshaw

His job is to score goals and in that he failed, however the woodwork and good goalkeeping were largely to blame. Caused problems throughout for the Leeds defence with his control and off -the-ball running and will surely finish the season on double figures."

GOod bet, CG.

If you can get over 2,0 on Norwich in this game, I say take it.

Earnshaw missed a lot of chances, Norwich played well, and the 3 men on top (Huckerby, Croft and Earnshaw looked sharp).

Norwich at home and Norwich away have usually been two different sides, and I expect Preston to pay for the bad luck against Leeds.

Preston is a team well capable of defending a draw, and I think the draw is the only other possible outcome of this game.

willieshing
07-08-06, 17:32
wow from what i gathered above norwich is destined to break their losing spell...any insiders tips that preston will fall ??? starman earnshaw is good enough to place 1x2 home???? big medium or small bet ? any opinions?

eidur_22
07-08-06, 23:02
Pick: Hull City
Odds: 2.0 (Interwetten)
Stake: 3 points

Hull have had an interesting summer. After consolidating their position in the Championship last season, a couple of new signings, but more importantly perhaps, a change in management that seems to present hull with a bright future. New manager Phil Parkinson worked wonders in his previous job at Colchester United, on a shoe string budget, and with more money to spend he should enjoy reasonable success at Hull City. Barnsley on the other hand have made a return to the Championship after several seasons in league 1. They were back in the 90s a Premiership club, but after severe financial troubles, its considered a surprise that they have already worked their way back up the divisions.

Hull finished 18th in the Championship, last season, with a home record of 8-8-7.
Barnsley finished 5th in League 1, with an away record of 7-7-9.

In their previous game, Hull lost 2-0 at the Hawthorns, with Hartson sealing the Baggies win with a goal in the 90th minute. Hull felt hard done by since they were earlier denied an obvious penalty. The manager's reflections on the game were that the performance was excellent and Hull should have got something from the game.

Barnsley lost 2-1 at home to Cardiff City. Cardiff regularly opened up the Barnsley defense, but never really finished off the game. Barnsley showed good spirit to come back into it from a 2-1 deficit. They even had a chance to level, late in the game.

While the big danger for Hull is that they will once again be wasteful in front of goal, their pre-season form gives me some faith in their ability to score. Parkinson will be keen to get his first win in front of the home fans, and the advantage in terms of motivation should be on Hull City's side. I believe that will prove decisive in this fixture.

Hull are still missing Nicky Barmby and new signing David Livermore, and their presence would have given me greater confidence in a Hull City victory, but regardless, I expect Hull to win. Small stakes. 3 points on a Hull victory

AndreaPirlo28
07-08-06, 23:36
Computer guy what do u think about QPR home win it looks like that Leeds bad away results from last year will continue...

eidur_22
07-08-06, 23:53
Pick: Norwich (draw no bet)
Stake: 5 points
Odds: 1.5 (Bet 365)

Norwich should win this game. Preston have made big changes to their squad and key injuries have them looking like a very average side. They failed to score against a poor Sheffield Wednesday side at home. The Canaries on the other hand should have got something out of their trip to Elland Road but Robert Earnshaw spurned several good chances and hit the post.
There is good value on the Norwich wins, with the odds on that over 2.0. Those odds are great value and are based largely on Preston's success last season. Preston lost key players over the summer, and the team news at this point, makes Norwich clear favorites here.
Preston defender Matt Hill (dead leg) and striker Danny Dichio (hip) are doubtful, while defenders Youl Mawene, Callum Davidson are sidelined. Also out are midfielders Brian O'Neil, Adam Nowland and Joe Anyinsah and strikers Brett Ormerod and Andy Smith.
Norwich finished last season in 9th place. Their home record was 12-4-7 (GD+9). Preston finished last season in 4th place. Their away record was top class at 9-10-4 (GD+10).
My pick, however is Norwich with a Draw-No-Bet. While odds of 1.5 aren't mouth watering, the secuirty of not losing on the draw, makes this an attractive bet. Preston are unlikely to win this, but Norwich must take their chances. A failure to do so could prove costly. 5 points on Norwich (Draw No Bet).

zzax
08-08-06, 06:59
Computer guy what do u think about QPR home win it looks like that Leeds bad away results from last year will continue...

I would never trust QPR at this moment. Internal problems in the board, bad team morale, many new unproven players...etc
This team just doesnt deserve our trust yet and even if they win 5-0 today I would never regret not betting on them.

ShrimpEr
08-08-06, 07:49
Coca Cola Football League Championship

http://images.skysports.com/images/badges/100x100/88.gif<U>Hull City FC vs. Barnsley FC</U>http://images.skysports.com/images/badges/100x100/37.gif

Covering the X2 at this price is a must bet. The home side, missing both stars Nick Barmby and David Livermore (in addition to long term injuries Ian Ashbee [M], Danny Coles [D] and Steve McPhee [S], three important players) splashed two million quids on some questionable transfers such as Sam Ricketts and Michael Turner. The two are League One defenders who looked quite lost on Saturday when Hull lost 0-2 to WBA, and will have to settle in the Championship before they do well. Until then, they are a liability for Hull.

Key midfielder Stuart Elliot was absolutely terrible on saturday and was eventually subbed. Jon Parkin is a decent striker, but with McPhee out for a long time he doesn't have any decent partner: Ben Burgess is way out of shape, Darryl Duffy and Craig are Fagan bad finishers. What a nice bunch of non scoring strikers was left by Peter Taylor. The Tigers could rely on ex-Spurs midfielder Dean Marney, however despite his talent he lacks experience and will take time to adjust as well.

Barnsley have a good setup and a fairly decent team. With Andy Ritchie at helm, featuring players like ex-Doncaster top goalscorer Michael McIndoe, they could achieve more than a relegation battle. McIndone joins Brian Howard and Martin Devaney to form a very solid, attack-minded midfield. Daniel Nardiello is a gifted striker, however he is set to be sidelined today. They have Paul Hayes and Marc Richards as a decent covers. In terms of quality, then, the gulf between the Tykes and the Tigers is almost non-existant, especially in light of the latter side's fitness problems. Cardiff was not much better than Barnsley and their 2-1 win at Oakwell on Saturday was undeserved.

It does not seem wise to underestimate Barnsley. They can certainly get at least a point against a very medicore Hull side and the price represents great value. So I'll take Barnsley with the +1/2 handicap with high stakes.

michaelmulder1985
08-08-06, 11:35
what about:

20:40 8301 Leicester City - Burnley
1.90 3.20 4.00

when i look at the previous results i would say burnley.

avok
08-08-06, 12:00
BBC information about QPR vs Leeds today

QPR have problems in attack with striker Paul Furlong (thigh) out, while Kevin Gallen and Marc Nygaard are still struggling with pre-season injuries.
Midfielder Egutu Oliseh is set to miss out with a thigh injury, and defender Dominic Shimmin is still suspended.

On-loan goalkeeper Tony Warner is poised to make his second start after being drafted in as emergency cover for Neil Sullivan (dead-leg)

Midfielder Eirik Bakke faces a late fitness test.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/5248140.stm

ogur0
08-08-06, 12:17
Hi . I bet twoatches to

1. Caediff - West Brom 2 course is very high 2,56 and I think that WBAwin they buy John Hartson and they have Camara and polish golakepper Tomasz Kuszczak. Cardiff don't have stars. In last season Cardiff have only 11. place in league. In this match maybe will be draw but i have hope that WBA win.

2.Wolwes - Ipswich X course 3,3 look good and Ipswich have stabil good team. Wolves are very ineffective In this match i saw draw 0-0 or 1-1 good type is also under 2,5.

jojo0807
08-08-06, 12:19
Crystal Palace 1.60 ? 8O 8O
I am dreaming please ? I don't understand ... :roll:

AndreaPirlo28
08-08-06, 12:20
BBC information about QPR vs Leeds today

QPR have problems in attack with striker Paul Furlong (thigh) out, while Kevin Gallen and Marc Nygaard are still struggling with pre-season injuries.
Midfielder Egutu Oliseh is set to miss out with a thigh injury, and defender Dominic Shimmin is still suspended.

On-loan goalkeeper Tony Warner is poised to make his second start after being drafted in as emergency cover for Neil Sullivan (dead-leg)

Midfielder Eirik Bakke faces a late fitness test.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/5248140.stm

Lol Tony Warner is a very good goalkeeper i remember some of his good matches for Fulham last season and if Leeds do not make any changes in attack then Away win will be very possible here...

djasmu
08-08-06, 12:35
what about NORWICH - PRESTON ?? i see on bbc that preston have some injury problem - Preston defender Matt Hill (dead leg) and striker Danny Dichio (hip) are doubtful, while defenders Youl Mawene, Callum Davidson are sidelined.

Also out are midfielders Brian O'Neil, Adam Nowland and Joe Anyinsah and strikers Brett Ormerod and Andy Smith.

how this players are important

tnx

anotha mug
08-08-06, 13:29
ogur0, I think your wrong to underestimatecardiff, this seems a no bet to me. West brom were decent first game but not outstanding, cardiff were just as solid, chopra will get goals as will Thompson, and they should never be underestimated at home. This seems a clear no bet to me.
For an outside value bet I would be considering burnley at leicester, burnley have a great strike partnership in jones and gray, mahorn in midfield and a solid backline. They looked good, beating an all be it poor qpr side were as leicester never got going against luton.
Other bets mentioned are viable, as a canary I would hope norwich would beat preston, but we didn't score last game and Preston will also be difficult to break down. Leeds were poor in beating norwich and although qpr are even worse, no value here.
Also be wary about the backlash of teams who lost away day one, with something to prove back to their home fans and as such make a lot of bets look vulnerable, it is early days and every beats everyone.
BAsically my advice is keep an eye out for value and make a few small stakes, but remember as george burley said recently "I couldn't tell you whose any good, until I've had them all watched about ten times, only then can we start to make accurate judgements."

erhangocmen
08-08-06, 13:52
what abt cardiff-wbw?
as i can see there is a quaility difference bwtween these 2 and wbw is better.
what abt the aims of these two in the league.
what i know cardiff will gonna be a mid-team and wbw is playing fr the title.
am i eight?
rgrds,

blaudio
08-08-06, 14:08
what abt cardiff-wbw?
as i can see there is a quaility difference bwtween these 2 and wbw is better.
what abt the aims of these two in the league.
what i know cardiff will gonna be a mid-team and wbw is playing fr the title.
am i eight?
rgrds,

careful with this match - Cardiff is not a bad team and if they buy Koumas (this week might hapen) I think they can aim for a play-off spot. In addition, there is much motivation in Cardiff's team for this match, since some players are former WBA players (Campbell, Purse, Scimecca, if I am not wrong) and want to show their value. The stadium will reserve a harsh welcome to John Hartson, born in Swansea (remember the rivalry between Cardif and Swansea). The Cardiff fans will have something even for WBA's manager, Robson, for the harsh treatment he has done in the past to some Cardiff adored players, as Earnshaw and Koumas...
I think it will be a tight match, and the best bet IMO is Under 2,5

Padre
08-08-06, 19:08
As I see, Norwich-Preston's homewin is very popular bet for today, but I prefer ''under2.5'' to a ''homewin''.

According to any kind of stats, this match is ''under2.5'' and for the odds around 1.75 - 1.80 this bet is valuable.
One of my local bookies offers 1,85 for this bet and I already placed my money on it in a combo with OFK-Auxerre's ''under''.

ssholovic
08-08-06, 21:22
Good job on Norwich 2-0 in the 89th minute. Cheers!!! :P

larcos
08-08-06, 21:51
Yes thanks for all the tips for Championship, League 1 and 2, played 6 won 5 8)

GrC.
08-08-06, 21:54
great job !!
norwich makes my day :wink:

anotha mug
09-08-06, 10:53
and mine and I didn't even bet on them:)

ShrimpEr
09-08-06, 12:03
Coca Cola Football League Championship

http://images.skysports.com/images/badges/100x100/20.gif<U>Southampton FC vs. Coventry City FC</U>http://images.skysports.com/images/badges/100x100/9.gif

Two of the strongest teams in the league meet for this match up. Saints played well on Saturday but eventually managed just to draw 2-2 with Derby County. They were very active on the transfer market this summer, with the grand transfers being the signing of two UK-based east European players: Polish striker Gregorz Rasiak (Tottenham) and Czech winger Rudi Skacel (Hearts). Both failed to impress me on Saturday and I fear they will eventually not prove worthwhile, especially in Rasiak's case. On the other hand, one of England's best goalkeepers - Kelvin Davis (Sunderland) - did sign for Southampton. The defense was further strengthened by the signing of Portugese defender Pele (Belenense). Midfielder Jermaine Wright signed as well (Leeds). Young strikr Bradley Wright-Phillips (Man City), who scored on Saturday, could start today given Ricardo Fuller's injury. Together with Chris Baird, David Prutton and Dexter Blackstock, Southampton features one of the Championship's strongest, most expensive squads.

But something is still missing for the saints despite all the big names, and that something was the reason why I believe they failed to control the game vs. Derby. It would seem the players don't know each other well enough to play as a team. As a result, there was confusion in midfield and the strikers were not cleverly supplied. As admitted by Saints manager George Burley: "We have a lot of new faces and it takes time to build a team." Well, I think that until Southampton gells up properly, they will find it difficult to play against any team at this level, and certainly of the calibre of Coventry City.

Captain Claus Lundekvam will not be able to play which is a major blow to the Saints' defense, though sufficient covers exist (Ostlund, Cranie). Also out is first-team striker Ricardo Fuller.

The visitors enjoy the services of Gary McSheffrey, a quick striker/winger who scored 17 goals last season, and of Stern John, a big strong forward who is always dangerous around the box. Together they're a weapon which the reshuffeled Southampton defense will have troubles coping with. The two did very well against Sunderland on Saturday, helping Coventry win 2-1. Other important figures for the Sky Blues are new midfielders Colin Cameron (Wolves), and Adam Virgo (Celtic, could play today), aand Scottish international David McNamee who should lead the SkyBlues' back-four alongside Robert Page and Elliot Ward. Dele Adebola and Wayne Andrews are two strikers who add to Coventry's goalscoring ability, albit of lesser quality.

The "revival" of Coventry isn't a mere cliché. Coventry is a stronger team this season, on the paper and on the pitch. I was impressed by their game against Sunderland. A similar performance against the "ungelled" Southampton will save them from defeat at St. Mary's.

Pick Coventry + 0.5 Asian Handicap, medium-high stakes.

Last 10 encounters (Coventry wins: 4 Draws: 4 Southampton wins: 2)

Football League Championship Southampton 1-1 Coventry City 04-03-2006
Football League Championship Coventry City 1-1 Southampton 29-08-2005
English Premier Coventry City 1-1 Southampton 22-12-2000
English League Cup Southampton 0-1 Coventry City 01-11-2000
English Premier Southampton 1-2 Coventry City 23-08-2000
English Premier Southampton 0-0 Coventry City 04-12-1999
English Premier Coventry City 0-1 Southampton 07-08-1999
English Premier Coventry City 1-0 Southampton 05-04-1999
English Premier Southampton 2-1 Coventry City 24-10-1998
English Premier Southampton 1-2 Coventry City 18-02-1998

willieshing
09-08-06, 13:05
all well said but one has to also keep in mind of rising goalkeeping star (as nominated by bbc sports) guarding soouthhampton's den.we shall all see,won't we?a tight bet again!

eidur_22
09-08-06, 18:46
I would stay away from this one. Too many unknown variables. The Saints have several top players who'll be playing their first competitive home game. They should be eager to impress. If there is an advantage in terms of motivation in this game - it should lie with the Saints. Moreover, there's a buzz about Southampton football club at the moment. That should filter down to the players, here.
Rudi played his first game of the season against Derby, it would be fair to expect some improvement from him. He's an absolutely top class footballer. His form is unknown!
Lundekvam will be a miss for Saints, though Ostlund should be an adquate replacement in terms of the football. If the Saints do get themselves into trouble, though - I'm not sure if they have a leader on the park.
Coventry are an impressive side - they did well to come back from a goal down and win the game against t Sunderland on the weekend, but I don't think too many would have complained if the game had finished 1-1. Moreover, let's not forget the Sky Blues have squad changes of their own. It's an intriguing fixture this, I favor the Saints (marginally), but the value definitely isn't on them. Classic no bet, for my money.
Cheers and GL

ShrimpEr
09-08-06, 21:48
Lost miserably. Oh well. At least my League 1 pick won, I somehow tend to like this league more. :-)