PDA

View Full Version : Blackwell sacked.

CG
20-09-06, 19:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/5364772.stm

Manager Blackwell sacked by Leeds

Leeds have just two league wins under Blackwell this season
Leeds United have sacked manager Kevin Blackwell after the club's uncertain start to the Championship season.
The 47-year-old Blackwell, who has been manager since May 2004, took Leeds to the play-off final last season, but the club are now second from bottom.

The pressure increased on Blackwell, 47, after Leeds lost successive home games to Wolverhampton and Sunderland.

Blackwell's sacking comes a day after his side did manage a victory - the 3-1 Carling Cup win over Barnet.

In March Blackwell had agreed a new three-year contract with the Yorkshire club.

He was assistant boss at Sheffield United before becoming Leeds' head coach under Peter Reid in 2003.

Blackwell succeeded Eddie Gray as manager in May 2004 after spending 12 months as coach.

"The club would like to place on record its thanks to Kevin for the work he has put in over the past three-and-a-half years, the past two and a half of which were as manager," said a Leeds statement.

There was no comment from Blackwell.

During Blackwell's tenure as manager Leeds were crippled by huge debts.

Earlier this month Blackwell told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme: "It is only 18 months since the club was relegated and in Ģ121m worth of debt."

As a result of their financial problems Leeds were forced to sell many of their biggest players. Robbie Fowler, Harry Kewell, Jonathan Woodgate, Aaron Lennon, Paul Robinson, Danny Mills and Olivier Dacourt are just some who departed.

Not all of those who left the club left the payroll.

Fowler and Nicky Barmby were being paid by Leeds up until this summer.

And BBC Sport understands that Mills and Paul Okon are still receiving a salary - and will do so until the end of this season.

According to Blackwell there are more than half a dozen ex-Leeds players still drawing money from the club.

During his career as a goalkeeper Blackwell played for Boston, Scarborough, Notts County, Huddersfield and Plymouth, before he took on coaching duties under Neil Warnock at Home Park.

About time imo.

Replacements.....Curbishley? O'Leary? nah, Bryan Robson for me ;)

RobbieWinner
20-09-06, 19:22
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/5364772.stm

Manager Blackwell sacked by Leeds

Leeds have just two league wins under Blackwell this season
Leeds United have sacked manager Kevin Blackwell after the club's uncertain start to the Championship season.
The 47-year-old Blackwell, who has been manager since May 2004, took Leeds to the play-off final last season, but the club are now second from bottom.

The pressure increased on Blackwell, 47, after Leeds lost successive home games to Wolverhampton and Sunderland.

Blackwell's sacking comes a day after his side did manage a victory - the 3-1 Carling Cup win over Barnet.

In March Blackwell had agreed a new three-year contract with the Yorkshire club.

He was assistant boss at Sheffield United before becoming Leeds' head coach under Peter Reid in 2003.

Blackwell succeeded Eddie Gray as manager in May 2004 after spending 12 months as coach.

"The club would like to place on record its thanks to Kevin for the work he has put in over the past three-and-a-half years, the past two and a half of which were as manager," said a Leeds statement.

There was no comment from Blackwell.

During Blackwell's tenure as manager Leeds were crippled by huge debts.

Earlier this month Blackwell told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme: "It is only 18 months since the club was relegated and in Ģ121m worth of debt."

As a result of their financial problems Leeds were forced to sell many of their biggest players. Robbie Fowler, Harry Kewell, Jonathan Woodgate, Aaron Lennon, Paul Robinson, Danny Mills and Olivier Dacourt are just some who departed.

Not all of those who left the club left the payroll.

Fowler and Nicky Barmby were being paid by Leeds up until this summer.

And BBC Sport understands that Mills and Paul Okon are still receiving a salary - and will do so until the end of this season.

According to Blackwell there are more than half a dozen ex-Leeds players still drawing money from the club.

During his career as a goalkeeper Blackwell played for Boston, Scarborough, Notts County, Huddersfield and Plymouth, before he took on coaching duties under Neil Warnock at Home Park.

About time imo.

Replacements.....Curbishley? O'Leary? nah, Bryan Robson for me ;)

Please tell me your not being serious?

CG
20-09-06, 19:32
No its not who i want, but its probably who i think might get it. Curbishley wont want it, O'Leary will cost too much salary wise and the rest of the list that is getting priced up, either wont want it or I wouldnt want. (with the possible exception of Mike Newell).

kardrovz
20-09-06, 22:15
No its not who i want, but its probably who i think might get it. Curbishley wont want it, O'Leary will cost too much salary wise and the rest of the list that is getting priced up, either wont want it or I wouldnt want. (with the possible exception of Mike Newell).

that's right. get some captain fantastic true Utd red blood in those Leeds, that'll pep them up :wink: :lol:

Edit: Newell's too busy with a new post at the BBC allegedly :twisted:

Binny
21-09-06, 02:34

Rob Newman or Sammy allardyce ? I would have pick the first one :wink:

anotha mug
21-09-06, 12:12
I think it would be dennis wise personally, so I'll be be staying away from Leeds and swindon from a betting pov for a few weeks. Never quite understand why managers get a few games either sack in the summer or at xmas, not in between.

Pradesh
22-09-06, 02:54
Why donīt you go for a propper coach, like Jaime Pacheco who is available, wouldn't cost much and it's guaranteed he would get the sweat out of the players?!